[SOLVED] Graphics cards vs pcie 16x ?

Hi,i cant find the proper answer for this so i am asking this forum.
What if i have pcie gen 3.0 gpu,installed on a pcie 2.0 x16 slot,will it perform the same if it was put on a pcie 3.0 x16 slot?
I still cant understand the benefits/disadvantages of newer/older pcie x16 slots in terms of performance.
Thanks in advance

Solution
it's all about bandwidth available. 3.0 is 2x as fast as 2.0. the good news is it will only be an issue for high end current cards. mid range and lower cards are not fast enough to saturate 2.0 slots, but there may still be a couple fps of difference due to latency but overall it won't be anything major.

what gpu are you using? anything less than a 1080ti or so should be good to go, but top end cards will start to see bandwidth issues on 2.0

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's all about bandwidth available. 3.0 is 2x as fast as 2.0. the good news is it will only be an issue for high end current cards. mid range and lower cards are not fast enough to saturate 2.0 slots, but there may still be a couple fps of difference due to latency but overall it won't be anything major.

what gpu are you using? anything less than a 1080ti or so should be good to go, but top end cards will start to see bandwidth issues on 2.0

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution
it's all about bandwidth available. 3.0 is 2x as fast as 2.0. the good news is it will only be an issue for high end current cards.

im currently using a r9 380 4gb which is pcie 3.0 card,installed on a lenovo ih61m motherboard (old ivy bridge mobo with pcie 2.0).
I plan to buy asrock a320m-hdv r4.0 which has a pcie x16 gen 3.0 slot,so will i get any performance bump on a newer motherboard?
Edit:So judging by what u said,i am actually using 50% of my cards performance?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
your getting the full performance. even though 2.0 is half as fast as 3.0. it is still plenty of bandwidth for a 380 gpu. i actually have a 380 myself on an old 2.0 system. it runs as good as expected considering the old cpu it is paired with.

you may see a few fps increase due to less latency of the faster slot and possibly a bit more from the newer cpu it will be paired with and faster newer ram as well. but the slot itself won't make any real difference to the gpu by itself.

so the newer system should help with better performance but it won't be due to the faster slot but due to the better overall system it is paired with.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Pcie 2/3 makes virtually no difference in performance.
Changing to a different motherboard is not going to make any difference.
A motherboard change will mostly be accompanied but a change of processor to a newer generation.
You can not run your intel processor on an amd motherboard.

your getting the full performance. even though 2.0 is half as fast as 3.0. it is still plenty of bandwidth for a 380 gpu. i actually have a 380 myself on an old 2.0 system. it runs as good as expected considering the old cpu it is paired with.

you may see a few fps increase due to less latency of the faster slot and possibly a bit more from the newer cpu it will be paired with and faster newer ram as well. but the slot itself won't make any real difference to the gpu by itself.

so the newer system should help with better performance but it won't be due to the faster slot.
thanks.
I honestly thought i would get 30-40% fps boost from my graphics card on a newer amd board xD
Anyhow,im planning to put r5 1600 and 2x8gb 3200mhz ram in that a320 mobo,so it should be much much faster than the i3 pc i have right now

If you need better graphics performance, buy a better graphics card.
If you need better cpu performance, you can buy a i5 or i7 processor for your current motherboard.
Check ebay for used .
That path may be cheaper than buying new cpu/mobo/ram.
If you are buying new, a i3-10100 will be a better gamer than the r5-1600.
Under $250 for cpu mobo and ram.
I3 today is more than it used to be.

If you need better graphics performance, buy a better graphics card.
If you need better cpu performance, you can buy a i5 or i7 processor for your current motherboard.
Check ebay for used .
That path may be cheaper than buying new cpu/mobo/ram.
If you are buying new, a i3-10100 will be a better gamer than the r5-1600.
Under $250 for cpu mobo and ram.
I3 today is more than it used to be.
tried to upgrade the build,bought i7 3770 and a new mobo for it,somehow both of them are 'broken'.I have given up on idea to upgrade my old rig,thats why i am going with new.Do you think 4c/8t 10100 has will be a dissadvantage in the next 4-5 years since i think more cores and threads will be the key to performance for the future.I dont play many demanding titles,the most demanding game i play would be either gta online and maybe fortnite.10100 is 170$,while 1600AE is 150$.I already found a A320 mobo (as stated above) and relatively cheap 16gb 3200mhz ram.I know that i could forget the fast ram with intel,which will be a lot cheaper,but i dont know much about lga 1200 motherboards.Here are some in my shops:
- https://gigatron.rs/racunari-i-komp...Podnožje=!attr_valIntel® 1200&poredak=rastuci

There is no reason why the i7-3770 should not work on your current motherboard.
Here are the specs:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd024645
It is extremely rare for an intel processor to fail, the one you bought is likely good.
Possibly, you might need a motherboard bios update.

If you buy lga1200, the least expensive H110 motherboard will be as good as any other.
Here are the differences in lga1200 chipsets:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1200
Most differences are not important.
Only if you will be overclocking a K suffix processor would you want a Z490 based motherboard.

I can not navigate your shopping web site.
Not knowing prices, it is hard to make recommendations on a processor.
There is always a performance limiter. Usually cpu or gpu.
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.

In 4-5 years, anything you buy today will be on the way towards obsolescence.
Either because of better price/performing products, or because your needs/wants and circumstances will likely change. I think the best strategy is to buy what you need for the next year or two and then re-evaluate.
A graphics card update is much easier than a processor update.

If your interest is in gaming, then plan on budgeting about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

amd has always touted the benefits of many cores/threads. Even back in the FX days.
But most games can not make EFFECTIVE use of more than 406 threads.
Here are a couple of older studies:

There are exceptions. Mostly multiplayer with many participants.

Your power supply is quite weak, and will only support a graphics card that does not need an aux 6 pin power lead.
About the strongest graphics upgrade might be a GTX1050

To see if you might benefit from a faster graphics card, try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

There is no reason why the i7-3770 should not work on your current motherboard.
Here are the specs:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd024645
It is extremely rare for an intel processor to fail, the one you bought is likely good.
Possibly, you might need a motherboard bios update.

If you buy lga1200, the least expensive H110 motherboard will be as good as any other.
Here are the differences in lga1200 chipsets:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1200
Most differences are not important.
Only if you will be overclocking a K suffix processor would you want a Z490 based motherboard.

I can not navigate your shopping web site.
Not knowing prices, it is hard to make recommendations on a processor.
There is always a performance limiter. Usually cpu or gpu.
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.

In 4-5 years, anything you buy today will be on the way towards obsolescence.
Either because of better price/performing products, or because your needs/wants and circumstances will likely change. I think the best strategy is to buy what you need for the next year or two and then re-evaluate.
A graphics card update is much easier than a processor update.

If your interest is in gaming, then plan on budgeting about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

amd has always touted the benefits of many cores/threads. Even back in the FX days.
But most games can not make EFFECTIVE use of more than 406 threads.
Here are a couple of older studies:

There are exceptions. Mostly multiplayer with many participants.

Your power supply is quite weak, and will only support a graphics card that does not need an aux 6 pin power lead.
About the strongest graphics upgrade might be a GTX1050

To see if you might benefit from a faster graphics card, try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
the i7 3770 i bought was defective.After it didnt work on my lenovo mobo,i bought asus p8h61-mx usb 3,it didnt work there.Later on i took it to a pc service where they had 4 different lga 1155 motherboard,it didnt work there.So the i7 3770 did not work.
Thanks for the input on motherboards for i3 10100,i had 0 clue on which one to choose.Sry for the link,thought it would work.
I plan to keep my r9 380 4gb since i see no reason to upgrade it for the games i play.My goal is to buy hardware that is new,and that will give me 100+fps in every game i want to play.Thanks for the input,apreciate it

TRENDING THREADS