Question Graphics driver crashed, dealing with a black screen booth. Unable to uninstall drivers causing the issue.

May 18, 2019
Hello everyone,

I tried to upgrade my graphics card from a Getforce gtx 1050ti to a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580. First I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers using a Display Driver Uninstaller. Then I restarted the computer and installed the drivers for my new graphics card. Everything went fine until I shut down my computer and rebooted it again. Now I'm dealing with a black screen when I boot up the computer.

I don't have an internal graphics card so I'm not sure what to do. I tried using the GeForce graphics card again but that one isn't responding either...I have a feeling that I installed the drivers incorrectly, if I can just reinstall them then I think that that would solve the problem.

Specs:

Board: MSI B450-A Pro
Processor: ADM Ryzen 5 2600X
Power Supply: EVGA 500W
RAM: 32GB

Try to reset and clear all the BIOS/CMOS settings, if you can do this by yourself. What's the exact Model number of your EVGA PSU ? Can you BOOT your PC via the motherboard's onboard/integrated graphics ? Do you still get a black screen ??

First remove the GPU, and then plug the monitor's cable to the motherboard
. Also, try booting your PC in Safe Mode as well, by using the RX 580, if possible. Doing all this might help narrow down your issue to some extent.

Last edited:
I took the graphic card out of my case and plugged a HDMI cable into my motherboard, which is unfortunately unable to read it.

So are you again getting a BLACK screen if you use the MOBO's igpu ?

BTW, yes I don't think your current CPU supports Integrated graphics. I just realized this. My bad. The VGA/DVI/HDMI ports on AM4 motherboards are for use with an APU such as Ryzen 5 2400G, which contains a graphics processor.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019
Thank you for the prompt responses, I really appreciate the help. After rebooting a couple of times and some patient waiting, my graphics card is running again (for now). I uninstalled all the drivers and I'm reinstalling them again. Just to double check. What are the recommended drivers to install for a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580?

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Thank you for the prompt responses, I really appreciate the help. After rebooting a couple of times and some patient waiting, my graphics card is running again (for now). I uninstalled all the drivers and I'm reinstalling them again. Just to double check. What are the recommended drivers to install for a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580?
The latest and greatest from AMD will work fine with your card. I've been running 19.5.1 on my RX570 and so far I have no complaints: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580