Question Graphics driver crashing?

Mar 22, 2020
This is happening on a laptop with an i7 8550U and a Radeon 530 GPU.

I have this issue when I'm playing a game, sometimes something important in my system crashes.

First the game window freezes. after a few seconds, all of my monitors go completely black, then they turn back on. Only, now, the game window is transparent. In most cases I can still hear the game audio and the game keeps running, but the visuals are gone. When I go into task manager, I can see that my dedicated GPU has been at 100% for ages, and at the point of the crash and after, the GPU usage goes down to zero and I have to restart the game to fix this.

The thing is, it doesn't just affect the game window. Sometimes Discord and Chrome windows(s) have also gone completely black, and I have to restart them to get them working again.

This specific crash has happened to me while playing Rainbow 6 Siege, CSGO, Fortnite and Rocket League. At the moment I play mostly Rainbow 6 Siege and Rocket League. It doesn't happen that much at all with Siege, but I can't even get a few games into Rocket League before this crash occurs

Because this is happening only when I play a game, it has led me to believe that this has something to do with my dedicated graphics. This also isn't a recent thing, it has happened for probably at least 6 months.

I've tried to fix this by using DDU to completely wipe both my graphics drivers and install the latest version for both AMD and Intel. When this didn't do anything, I tried using DDU again and installing the oldest graphics drivers available on each respoective website. (this was still only about a year old). Nothing. Still crashes, and I'm at a loss as to what I should do. At the moment the only game I seem to be able to play semi-reliably is Rainbow 6 Siege.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS