Graphics drivers has stopped responding (amdkmdap) and has recovered.

Khaine

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Graphics drivers has stopped responding (amdkmdap)

Hello,

recently I've started seeing crashes while playing games. It's fairly random, sometimes I can play for 2 hours and it's all smooth, sometimes just 5 minutes and it crashes.

Shortly before the crashes I get a "checkered" image and I have to shut down the process (the computer doesn't crash, just the game). Afterwards I receive an in-windows message that the driver has stopped responding (amdkmdap) but has recovered.

What I tried to do so far :

1. Tried older drivers - no luck, still the same issue,

2. Did a format and a clean windows install - no luck either.

3. Increased fan speed - temperature looked good, at around 85 degrees C or so but it still crashed.

What could it be?

SethS

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
First things, are you using windows 8.1? that happens alot in it. Also if possible update the divers to latest. To see if it is your gpu(sometimes not) if your cpu has integrated graphics, use that for a bet and note.

Khaine

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
No, I'm using Vista - and I have the newest ATI drivers, 13.4.

I'm using Asus P5E, sadly it doesn't have integrated graphics.

One more thing - last time the monitor just shut down and when it came back up the mouse cursor was gone, forcing me to do a full reboot.

Khaine

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I'm using :

Asus P5E
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 overclocked to 3,84 GHz
Corsair TX750W PSU

I don't have another graphics card to try, unfortunately.

And by the way - I never get this problem when I'm not playing games, computer runs okay.

I recently checked for the dust, was fine.

The problem is recent - I've been using this computer for over 2 years and it nothing of the sort happend before.

Khaine

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
What about the PSU and motherboard?

One more clue - yesterday I had the computer on for about 5-6 hours and didn't get a single crash (didn't play any games, though).

I could buy a new graphics card (thinking about GTX 650 Ti Boost) - and return it if it'll turn out it wasn't the problem.

RauruX

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
I was having the same prblem with my new system and tried everything to fix it. After troubleshooting for 2 weeks I found out the core and mem clock were set too low on 2D applications. I downloaded Asus GPU Tweak and created a 2D profile with higher clocks and now is working perfectly. Try it it might fix your problem.