Question Graphics Drivers keep on crashing and GPU starts smelling

Mar 15, 2021
So the problem is quite straightforward, my graphics drivers just keep on crashing out of the blue whenever I open apps that make use of them. It has mostly been happening while playing some steam game or discord but it also happens randomly while one Youtube (the website) and some other applications that make usage of the GPU. What is concerning is the fact that whenever they do crash a weird smell eminates from the computer. I should probably mention that I have had some more issues with the computer smelling in the past ( link to the old thread: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-smells-quite-badly.3693416/ ). I took the computer to someone that well.. "knows his stuff" and after taking some heat measurements, and some testing he did, we came to the conclusion that my last motherboard had an issue alongside my CPU pump. I had to replace my PSU as well since it was not sufficient.
System specs:

CPU : Ryzen 5 3600 -6 cores
GPU : Radeon RX 5500 XT
Motherboard : ASUS TUF B550
RAM : HyperX 16GB DDR4 (Don't remember clock speed)
PSU : 750W (can't recall brand)

I already tested rolling back my drivers and doing a clean reinstallation of them to no avail.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Keep monitoring temperatures. If you can smell the GPU, then it is getting very warm somewhere. That could easily lead to crashing.

Not the best time to be having GPU issues or attempting repair, but you may want to consider re-doing the thermal paste and pads on the card.

Mar 15, 2021
The card seems to be at around 45-50 °C (I had some 4k videos playing on youtube). The graphics drivers keep on crashing whenever I launch steam games mostly. I tried playing some Rocket League and it all seemed fine... No performance issues, and the temperatures again seemed fine ( no more than 62 °C ). Btw I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers again and discord no longer breaks thus far, so maybe it is a software problem. But I still am concerned about the smell.