[SOLVED] Graphics fail to initialise on OS load

Jan 8, 2020
I went to turn the PC on as normal, but I noticed that the graphics were slightly off, and when loading 7, instead of getting the fancier colourful boot load, I just got a black bar with green segments in it. And after a few moments of that, the screen goes blank and says "no input". But the login chime still place, and the lights in the keyboard and mouse are still in, so why have the graphics failed?

Haven't installed any new drivers or anything for that matter. Safe mode loads normally, but with networking crashes. Tried rolling back to a restore point, but that throws a "catastrophic error". What's caused this and can it be fixed?

Solution
UK, there's no such thing as cheap electronics here, if it is, it's definitely 100% a scam. And it was the HDD plug that didn't fit. 80 pounds for a replacement but I'm hesitant to spend because it might still be a power problem.
So then at this point you can confirm that you are able to use the Intel graphics that require you plug your monitor into the motherboard or have you not done that yet? When you don't have the driver installed for your 750 TI, you still get an image and are able to use Windows until you install the driver through Windows update? Have you ever gone to the official nvidia driver download page for the driver installer to your card or are you only trying to install through windows update? This is the...
After doing a bit of digging, I think the conclusion to draw is that the PSU is shot, as I know 500W is enough. Guess I'd better go shopping...
It's more likely the 750 TI is faulty and needs to be replaced. If the PSU were the problem, the whole system would likely be having issues. although, you may want to replace the PSU as well so you can handle a better GPU. A 550-650watt Bronze or Gold rated with minimum two PCIE 8 Pin power rails is what I would look for.

This could be a heat issue, when is the last time you cleaned out your case? Special attention to the PSU intake and CPU heatsink. Nex,t I would try a clean install of your GPU drivers https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/ Sometimes these issues are caused by a Windows 19 update; try rolling back the last update to see if it helps. Also try booting up in low resolution; these can be done from safe mode or the repair boot menu.

Jan 8, 2020
This could be a heat issue, when is the last time you cleaned out your case? Special attention to the PSU intake and CPU heatsink. Nex,t I would try a clean install of your GPU drivers https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/ Sometimes these issues are caused by a Windows 19 update; try rolling back the last update to see if it helps. Also try booting up in low resolution; these can be done from safe mode or the repair boot menu.
Can't. Tried to roll back to the restore point but it gives "catastrophic error". Last known good configuration doesn't help either, and safe mod with networking crashes when loading the SYS files.

Jan 8, 2020
Update. PSU isn't the problem. RAM can't be the problem, machine POSTs normally. Not a dust or heat problem, cleaned the thing out thoroughly. Rolled back didnt work but uninstalling the driver let me get to the desktop proper.

Driver reinstalled via windows update, problem reoccurs. Installing manually fails, says it can't find compatible hardware.

Last edited:
I assume "Rolled back didn't work but uninstalling the driver let me get to the desktop proper" was done via the Device Manager in Safe Mode.
"Driver reinstalled via windows update, problem reoccurs. Installing manually fails, says it can't find compatible hardware." Does this mean a Windows update installed and corrupted your ability to boot? If so you can always stop windows 7 from installing the driver https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...op-windows-7-automatically-installing-drivers

Jan 8, 2020
I assume "Rolled back didn't work but uninstalling the driver let me get to the desktop proper" was done via the Device Manager in Safe Mode.
"Driver reinstalled via windows update, problem reoccurs. Installing manually fails, says it can't find compatible hardware." Does this mean a Windows update installed and corrupted your ability to boot? If so you can always stop windows 7 from installing the driver https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...op-windows-7-automatically-installing-drivers
Not quite. A new device driver installs via windows update, which causes the problem of the display dying after loading the OS to reoccur, uninstalling the driver and forcing the system to use the integrated graphics allows me to get into the full system.

Attempting to manually install the driver fails, says that it can't find compatible hardware.

Still a little unsure what your describing. "A new device driver installs via windows update" What Windows update are your talking about? How are you uninstalling the driver? And how are you forcing the system to use the integrated graphics. Try to boot with low resolution drivers (it's on the same menu as Safe Mode) to see if your PC will boot with your discrete video card.

Try a clean install of you video drivers. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Jan 8, 2020
Still a little unsure what your describing. "A new device driver installs via windows update" What Windows update are your talking about? How are you uninstalling the driver? And how are you forcing the system to use the integrated graphics. Try to boot with low resolution drivers (it's on the same menu as Safe Mode) to see if your PC will boot with your discrete video card.

Try a clean install of you video drivers. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/
...what windows update? The windows update one. I really can't put it any other way :/
when I get to the desktop it says that windows update is acquiring then installing a new driver, then it asks to reset. Uninstallation is done manually via device manager. And low res mode is on, that's what I mean by forcing integrated graphics.

And I must reiterate, downloading and running the installer from the manufacturer throws an error saying it can't find compatible hardware. I have made entirely sure that it's the right type.

The PSU will be refunded, seems the graphics card has had it. Time for a new one?

Okay, There is also a Windows Security Updates loads through the Windows Update utility, that sometimes messes with drivers. What you mean is you log on and Windows loads a driver. To use integrated video on a OC, you normally have to switch the video from the graphics card plug to the MB plug. All the low resolution does is load generic drivers that are very low resolution.

Look again at the clean install link. What is happening is your have some bad drivers installed, and every time Windows boots it loads them. The clean install deletes those drivers so when you boot into Windows 10 there will be no drivers for windows to load. Even when you use the Programs and Features utility to uninstall the graphics drivers, they often remain installed in a folder where Windows can find it.

Jan 8, 2020
Okay, There is also a Windows Security Updates loads through the Windows Update utility, that sometimes messes with drivers. What you mean is you log on and Windows loads a driver. To use integrated video on a OC, you normally have to switch the video from the graphics card plug to the MB plug. All the low resolution does is load generic drivers that are very low resolution.

Look again at the clean install link. What is happening is your have some bad drivers installed, and every time Windows boots it loads them. The clean install deletes those drivers so when you boot into Windows 10 there will be no drivers for windows to load. Even when you use the Programs and Features utility to uninstall the graphics drivers, they often remain installed in a folder where Windows can find it.
Ran the tool with recommended settings, then went back to the desktop and installed the new driver. Problem persists, graphics fails when loading into OS. (windows 7. Not 10)

I really don't see what else it could be. Could it be the hardware that's at fault?

First, confirm you only have one Monitor plug on the back of your PC; your CPU supports integrated graphics, but you didn't ID your MB. If you do have an integrated graphics, you did not mention plugging your monitor into the integrated monitor plug; you may have to remove your discrete card to make it work. BTW, when you boot with low resolution, you are still using whatever card your monitor is attached to.

Otherwise, if you replaced the PSU I would certainly look into another GPU, or put your GPU in another PC to see if it works.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020
First, confirm you only have one Monitor plug on the back of your PC; your CPU supports integrated graphics, but you didn't ID your MB. If you do have an integrated graphics, you did not mention plugging your monitor into the integrated monitor plug; you may have to remove your discrete card to make it work. BTW, when you boot with low resolution, you are still using whatever card your monitor is attached to.

Otherwise, if you replaced the PSU I would certainly look into another GPU, or put your GPU in another PC to see if it works.
There are 2 sockets, but only 1 works, the other gives no output at all. I can only assume integrated graphics work because I can get to the desktop when there are no graphics drivers installed and low res mode is on.

There is no discrete card, GPU only. PSU couldn't be replaced, plugs were incompatible with HDD and 8 pin sockets. Can't put it in another system, mine is the only PC in the house and none of my friends have a compatible system.

Advise the make/model of your MB. Also check the device Manager and see if you have one or two display adapters. Also check if you have any question mark devices.

Okay, the GTX 750 Ti GPU is a discrete card because the card plugs into your motherboard and there is a plug on the back of the card, with a monitor plug. ; a discrete card means a removable card separate from the motherboard. This is opposed to integrated graphics, which is a chipset on your motherboard with a plug either directly or indirectly attached to the MB. The two are entirely independent of each other. IOW, if you are plugged into your discrete card and booting in low resolution, the discrete card is using a low resolution driver that has nothing to do with the integrated graphics. For you to have integrated graphics both your CPU and MB must support it, as the graphics are integral with the CPU and uses the PC's RAM. A discrete card has it's own processor and uses it's own onboard memory. I checked your CPU specs which said it supports integrated graphics so it's very likely there for you to use. You say only one plug works, well that may be because you have to remove the GPU card, for the integrated graphics plug to work. Give it a try..

Saying all this, it's likely your problem could also be a failing PSU. I'm not sure what you mean by, "PSU couldn't be replaced, plugs were incompatible with HDD and 8 pin sockets" There atre many PSUs that would be compatible, perhaps you meant you don't have one that would fit. When running at low resolution a graphics card will pull a minimum of power, when running hi resolution, the power consumption ramps up demanding more power from your PSU.

Last edited:
There are 2 sockets, but only 1 works, the other gives no output at all. I can only assume integrated graphics work because I can get to the desktop when there are no graphics drivers installed and low res mode is on.

There is no discrete card, GPU only. PSU couldn't be replaced, plugs were incompatible with HDD and 8 pin sockets. Can't put it in another system, mine is the only PC in the house and none of my friends have a compatible system.
If you can, just go buy a replacement Nvidia GPU to test. You haven't ruled out if the 750 TI has hardware faults. Like I already suggested, your 750 TI is probably faulty and needs to be replaced. The issue is not exactly the same as the GTX 780, but similar in that the 780 would have a black screen issue that resulted in the end user needing to RMA the card for a replacement and most people that did RMA got a GTX 970 or 980. The GTX 750 TI uses Maxwell like the 970, so it's not the same issue, but it's similar and could be tied to certain components used on the boards from certain manufacturers.

Jan 8, 2020
Advise the make/model of your MB. Also check the device Manager and see if you have one or two display adapters. Also check if you have any question mark devices.

Okay, the GTX 750 Ti GPU is a discrete card because the card plugs into your motherboard and there is a plug on the back of the card, with a monitor plug. ; a discrete card means a removable card separate from the motherboard. This is opposed to integrated graphics, which is a chipset on your motherboard with a plug either directly or indirectly attached to the MB. The two are entirely independent of each other. IOW, if you are plugged into your discrete card and booting in low resolution, the discrete card is using a low resolution driver that has nothing to do with the integrated graphics. For you to have integrated graphics both your CPU and MB must support it, as the graphics are integral with the CPU and uses the PC's RAM. A discrete card has it's own processor and uses it's own onboard memory. I checked your CPU specs which siad it supports integrated graphics so it's very likely there for you to use. You say only one plug works, well that may be because you have to remove the GPU card, for the integrated graphics plug to work. Give it a try..

Saying all this, it's likely your problem could also be a failing PSU. I'm not sure what you mean by, "PSU couldn't be replaced, plugs were incompatible with HDD and 8 pin sockets" There atre many PSUs that would be compatible, perhaps you meant you don't have one that would fit. When running at low resolution a graphics card will pull a minimum of power, when running hi resolution, the power consumption ramps up demanding more power from your PSU.
If I removed the card, there would be nothing to plug the monitor cable into. And only one device shows up, no question marks. And how can I tell what's compatible with the motherboard and HDD without a dozen rounds of trial and error, and was it not you who said if it was a PSU problem there would be other symptoms?

Jan 8, 2020
If you can, just go buy a replacement Nvidia GPU to test. You haven't ruled out if the 750 TI has hardware faults. Like I already suggested, your 750 TI is probably faulty and needs to be replaced. The issue is not exactly the same as the GTX 780, but similar in that the 780 would have a black screen issue that resulted in the end user needing to RMA the card for a replacement and most people that did RMA got a GTX 970 or 980. People should avoid buying any new in box or used GTX 780.
I can't, I don't have much money and can't afford to chop and change this and that's just to do a test. This is a terrible situation, it's either a fault with the graphics card high is expensive to replace, or a PSU fault which will make me lose my mind because there's no way of telling just from the description if the plugs will fit my components without a time consuming and expensive game of trial and error.

I can't, I don't have much money and can't afford to chop and change this and that's just to do a test. This is a terrible situation, it's either a fault with the graphics card high is expensive to replace, or a PSU fault which will make me lose my mind because there's no way of telling just from the description if the plugs will fit my components without a time consuming and expensive game of trial and error.
What plugs are you referring to? If you mean the GPU, there is only one type from the PSU that should ever be plugged in to your GPU. It's labled PCIE and has either 6pins or 6+2 that plug into the GPUs either 6pin connection or 8pin. Don't confuse CPU 4+4 pin power cables with PCIE 6+2. Also what country are you from? Depending on the location, you may be able to get decent and cheap used GPU to replace the 750 ti.

Jan 8, 2020
What plugs are you referring to? If you mean the GPU, there is only one type from the PSU that should ever be plugged in to your GPU. It's labled PCIE and has either 6pins or 6+2 that plug into the GPUs either 6pin connection or 8pin. Don't confuse CPU 4+4 pin power cables with PCIE 6+2. Also what country are you from? Depending on the location, you may be able to get decent and cheap used GPU to replace the 750 ti.
UK, there's no such thing as cheap electronics here, if it is, it's definitely 100% a scam. And it was the HDD plug that didn't fit. 80 pounds for a replacement but I'm hesitant to spend because it might still be a power problem.