Graphics issues

fufurifraf89

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hello community, im here to tell you about my problem and hopefully get a solution. Ive recently connected my PC to my 60 inch lg plasma tv. its runs great but after about 8 hours of being on and running on the tv i start gettins all these dots on the screen. its not the tv but the computer. and when i exited my game the desktop keept flashing and showing all the weird colors like the GPU was burining out. but if i let it cool down it runs fine like right now iim on it and its fine. is it because the gpu cant handle the reolution of the tv for long periods of time? will this actually hurt my gpu? should i switch back to my regular monitor? thanks all. oh btw i have a ati radeon hd 5850 running with 1tb memorey, 4 gb of ram, and a amd quadcore.

Chirag Borawake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I think even if your plasma tv is 60 inches, it would be having a maximum resolution of 1920X1080 i.e. full hd. And which game you were playing on it?
That Graphics card is quite capable of delivering good amount of fps.

The problem might be overheating, because 8 hours is too much.
What is your other hardware specs by the way??

You can monitor gpu temperatures with programs like catalyst, evga precision, msi afterburner.
Anyway, sounds like a hetaing problem ( and that is bad for your gpu ) make sure all the airinlets are dustfree, that the cooler of your gpu is dustfree, that there is enough ventilation room in your case ( make sure all the cables are nicely out of the way ), maybe put in an extra fan in your case blowing cold air in and with the programs as afterburner you can also adjust your gpu fan speed.

fufurifraf89

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
well its not temperature. it stays at about 52 with load. however i did get an error on my tv. i lost sight of the compter desktop and a message floated on teh tv screen saying "invalid format" i hit input and switched to regular tv and it was fine then switched back to hdmi1 and it went back to normal. whats going on lol.