[SOLVED] Graphics Lag

Jan 16, 2022
Ok so yesterday out of nowhere my laptop screen spazzed out & resolution of icons were all over the place (I wasn't online, was offline watching a video on VLC). It then put up the msg 'igfxtray Stopped Responding'.

I tried putting it in sleep mode by closing it & suceeded but when I brought it back up, resolution was back to normal size. Thing is, the reason I know this is that the cursor size was normal & it was responding properly; rest of the screen though was pitch black.

So powered it down & when I powered back up it took a long ass time to get to the log-in screen (Thought it actually wouldn't because it neared ten minutes). From there it went back to the black screen with functioning cursor but I left it that way.

After another long period, desktop & icons loaded. When I searched the error results online, results I found said updating graphics card was the solution, but when I use Device Manager to try, my graphics cards keep saying they're up to date. However when I try to watch a video or browse online there's vicious lag especially when it comes to videos (Not from my network, I checked).
Even prompts like the countdown to skip ads on Youtube videos don't show up till much later when the 10-to15 second ad may have already been over.

& when I do struggle through these videos most of the time there's sound sputtering, like really bad at points often in the beginning.

Please help, I'm not really tech-savvy & have no idea what is wrong. Here are my specs.

COMPUTER: Dell Inspiron 5758

WINDOWS EDITION: Windows 8.1

PROCESSOR: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz. 2.40GHz

INSTALLED RAM: 12.0GB

SYSTEM TYPE: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based Processor

DISPLAY ADAPTERS: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
NVIDIA GeForce 920M

Solution
Correct me if i am wrong but i dont think you need 3rd party software to uninstall drivers , when you download the latest driver choose custom install and during this you get the option to do a " clean " install and the program will remove all the bits that 3rd party software would remove.
Well, correction is needed!

DDU is a software that cleans EVERYTHING related to drivers while a clean installation may just delete files but not registry values, profiles, etc. It's a very handy tool that is recommended by every knowledgeable PC tech guy. It has yet to fail me after so many years and countless PCs.

It's DDU and then windows clean installation (when it comes to gpu drivers)
Correct me if i am wrong but i dont think you need 3rd party software to uninstall drivers , when you download the latest driver choose custom install and during this you get the option to do a " clean " install and the program will remove all the bits that 3rd party software would remove.

Well, correction is needed!

DDU is a software that cleans EVERYTHING related to drivers while a clean installation may just delete files but not registry values, profiles, etc. It's a very handy tool that is recommended by every knowledgeable PC tech guy. It has yet to fail me after so many years and countless PCs.

It's DDU and then windows clean installation (when it comes to gpu drivers)

Solution
Jan 16, 2022
Download the gpu driver directly from NVidia site, it may be newer than the version device manager is using.

It might be best to use DDU to remove the existing driver 100%.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Hey, so thanx for the reply. Several things.

1: What about the 'Intel HD Graphics 5500', do I need to worry about doing that as well?
2: Do I want the GRD or SD download type?
3: When I run the DDU should I just run it, or try uninstalling the drivers for both Intel & Nvidia then run it & after running it should I restart before reinstalling the drivers?

Please be patient with me as I said before, not really tech savvy & I don't want to mess anything up by doing things wrong.

Thanks again

Last edited: