Question Graphics look off regardless of settings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2023
I've recently upgraded my PC, went from a pretty old mobo/cpu/ram combo to my current one.

I played a few games without any issues in the last few months (such as Escape from Tarkov), but the last few in particular caught my interest.
Two new games I have bought recently being Ghost Recon Wildlands and Inquisitor Martyr both give me this weird blurry, incorrectly looking vibe.
GRW in particular, because it has a very neat menu that shows the difference between every graphics settings. My games does NOT look anything like it. But I chalked it up to the game being like that.

But now I took out a game I have played two years ago, on my 1050ti nonetheless. At the same exact settings (being highest), there is the same blur, the game looks like it's lagging behind when travelling and looking at grass (despite running much higher fps than when I first played it), and there are some obviously incredibly rough edges. This game in particular (Nier Replicant) was especially memorable for me, because I remember showing some scenery to my sister, and generally just going somewhere and chilling at places as a background while I studied for uni, so I know it's not supposed to look like this.

So the same 'graphical error' can be observed in three completely different games to some degree, and now it just rubs me the wrong way.
I've also noticed in the Nvidia control panel, that my maximum refresh rate is only 60, despite my monitor being a 144Hz one, but I don't remember if it set on 144 there before, I rarely check it.

I have also updated my GPU driver to the lastest, tinkered around with a few settings, but it still looks the same.
The card is installed on the top slot of my mobo, which is a "PCIe 5.0 x16 SafeSlot", with my previous motherboard my current cpu was used in PCIe 3.0 only.

I have tried making a video, where I show normal gameplay, in-game cutscenes, and a pre-rendered one.
https://mega.nz/file/LqI1mYiS#Vp6MoXxEAJQ-swf5aulAxpWZD4v9fX7moiFi3qkvWyY
I tried windowed, borderless, fullscreen, always in 1080p (native monitor size), AA on, Texture filtering x16, but even if I turn both off nothing changes. These settings should be controlled by the application according to the NCP. Manually changing them there does nothing that I can discern aswell. Also there is no blur setting in the game, and if any game has it I disable it by default.
And to some degree it is the same exact issue for all 3 games mentioned above. Strangely Tarkov did not have such issues that I can tell.

Asus Z690-P
MSI 3060 12GB
i5 13600KF
G.Skill RAM 2x16GB 5600MHz (don't remember which model exactly)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I've recently upgraded my PC, went from a pretty old mobo/cpu/ram combo to my current one.
What did you upgrade from? As for your specs, you should post them like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Please mention the parts that you've recycled from your old system as well, if you have.

Apr 1, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What did you upgrade from? As for your specs, you should post them like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Please mention the parts that you've recycled from your old system as well, if you have.
I went from
Motherboard: Asus B150 Pro Gaming
CPU: i5 7600k
RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury 2400MHz CL18 to my current specs.
For my GPU I've been using the 3060 instead of the 1050ti for about 10 months now without any issues.

I'm pretty sure it's some issue with the software but I can't figure it out.
My GPU driver has been updated yesterday to no avail.

Apr 1, 2023
You didn't answer my question above, we'll be seeing two sets of system's specs. One for before and one for after. + Did you recycle the OS drive, without reinstalling the OS?
The answer to your question has been in my original post. I have only switched 3 parts in my computer. No I did not perform a full OS reinstall.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I would suggest you start with an OS reinstall and see where you are. At present you have an aged OS with all of your old drivers for your motherboard etc

I would recommend a fresh install and not just a refresh. Grab the latest drivers for your motherboard etc from the vendor website and do not rely on windows to install any chipset drivers for you.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
When changing hardware, especially the motherboard, a full OS reinstall is required. That's a FULL reinstall, as in, wipe the drive and start from scratch. Make sure to backup all needed data and have the installation media and serial numbers for all installed software at hand.

Apr 1, 2023
I would suggest you start with an OS reinstall and see where you are. At present you have an aged OS with all of your old drivers for your motherboard etc

I would recommend a fresh install and not just a refresh. Grab the latest drivers for your motherboard etc from the vendor website and do not rely on windows to install any chipset drivers for you.
I used a completely new hard drive, installed a fresh windows, installed all the latest drivers. Still the same results.
View: https://imgur.com/a/1hCA5tW
It is apparent the application settings don't work properly, despite the NVP having the "application controlled" options toggled, but manually setting things to the highest quality makes a difference. I've managed to reduce the shimmering, vibrating effect to a level where it's no longer so apparent that it hurts my eye aswell.
But it's a just a bit of a slight repair and not a fix. Should I look into some third party software and leave the Nvidia software as is?

Apr 1, 2023
What monitor do you have?
A 27 inch or larger monitor with 1080p resolution is terrible at scaling.
Each pixel is so large that you can see each one, and text etc will be blurry/blocky /distorted etc.......
I've been using the same monitor for the past five or so years.
Graphical settings seemingly do not do anything significant/observable with current setup. It wasn't an issue with previous much weaker/older setup.
The issue has nothing to do with the monitor...

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Do you have Geforce Experience installed? If so are the settings set to auto configure games? Possible conflict somewhere.

Without knowing what has been changed in Nvidia control panel I would suggest resetting this to default to try and work through the issue. In all my years of gaming I have very rarely touched the control panel as have not needed to. All graphical settings I will adjust though the game menus.

You mentioned the menus in GRW not being correct compared to what you have seen. Can you post a picture of your menu and one of what you are expecting to see?

Apr 1, 2023
Try this.

Open NCP
Adjust image settings with preview.
Use my preference ,Quality slider all of the way to the right.
Apply

3D settings.
Click restore.
Apply.
Restart.
Now open your games and adjust setting in the games Graphics settings menu.
Results?
View: https://imgur.com/a/7qNAXjn

(I forgot to label the first few pictures, but the first is everything maxed out, second is every sharpening/foliage/terrain quality turned to it's lowest, normal texture quality still at ultra, third and fourth are image sharpening turned off and to the max, fifth is with the "image enhancement on +100%)
I can't get seemingly any different results. I also tried the "super resolution" option in the NCP, but no difference.
I probably wouldn't have even noticed the edges being so rough, if it wasn't so aggressively shimmering when I am in movement. Clamping the negative LOD bias helps with that to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.