Graphics Or CPU Upgrade

Apr 30, 2018
Hi All,
I'm struggling with a decision on what I should upgrade on my PC which is getting a little long in the tooth. I'm unsure if I should go for the CPU (and of course the motherboard/ram will have to be upgraded) or the GPU first which I'm looking at a 1080 or even 1080ti.

Eventually I will upgrade both the CPU and GPU but most likely around 8 months apart to save up for them.

What do you think I should upgrade first? I mainly play Overwatch, PUBG, World Of Warcraft, Far Cry 5 etc single player games.

The main specs are:
Core i5 4690k
16gb DDR 3
2 x GTX 970 in SLI
144hz gaming monitor

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If you are looking to upgrade regardless then here's my verdict:
your CPU is perfectly fine and in great shape for gaming. there is not need to upgrade it, just overclock it assuming you weren't one of those people that buys a K series CPU but then pairs it with a non overclockable chipset motherboard.

So buy a GPU for sure and enjoy your gaming experience. You can then get a CPU upgrade with a CPU that has more cores and/or hyperthreading like an i7 or a Ryzen 7.

If you can find a 4th gen i7 online locally second hand for cheap enough price then you can always just go for that to get hyperthreading for more performance. your choice.

Once you get the upgraded GPU you can then go ahead and post your two 970's online for sale and get some money from them to go towards a CPU upgrade.

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
If you are on a budget ,rysen 2600 with a decent b350 mono like Asus prime b350 plus or an asrock b350m pro 4 . Orelse i5 8600k/8700k for max performance

I had a 4690K with a single 970. After much research and saving money for months(9) I decided to upgrade my GPU to a 1080 Ti and I upgraded from a 500W 80+ PSU to a 650W 80+ Gold PSU.

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
I think your cpu and gpu are both pretty good for playing games you named before. However I'm not sure if base cpu frequency is enough for unleashing full potential of your two videocards.
In addition to named pc specs you should have said the screen resolution, the model of the motherboard.
Why are you thinking of upgrading? Is there not enough fps or it's just time to upgrade because of moral obsolescence?
Anyway, I would wait for July or a bit longer in case Nvidia announces new gpus (rumors about gtx 11 series). Also i7-8086k is almost here - a good candidate for your new system.

^ I like rustech's last recommendation. Since Nvidia is "rumored" to be releasing new GPU's this July, I would waiting. As far as CPUs, I'd either proceed with one of three following options: (1) purchase an i7-8700k + asrock z370 extreme + ddr4 ram, (2) purchase "rumored" i7-8086k cpu with mb + ram, or (3) purchase (future) i7-9700k (with 8 core & hyperthreading).