Graphics problem

G

This just stareted happening recently and I don't know what I have done wrong. My current system is:

PIII 700
PC100 128 meg
Diamond v770 ultra (TNT2 ultra)

I think that is all that would matter for my question. Anyway, recently when I look around corners in unreal or drive around a corner in midtown madness, the textures start being loaded off my hard drive rather than out of my RAM. I checked my RAM before I launch a game and I have over 70+ free megs, but during the game If I minimize it I have no free memory and over 200 megs being used on the swap file.

I can't think of anything I could of done for this to happen. But it becomes extremely annoying in unreal. If someone else pops out from behind a corner and their textures havent been loaded yet, the frame rate will drop to under 1 frame a second and once I can finally see motion again, I am dead. I tried tweaking unreal and uping the cacheMegSize in advanced options, up from 4 to around 64, and that speeds up the choppyness about 20%, but thats all.

If my Bios wasn't as garbage as it is (crummy Pheonix BIOS) I would up the AGP aperature size to above 64 megs (which is what it's at now) but that option isn't availible. But it was at 64 megs before this started happening. I've upgraded to latest video drivers and all. but to no avail, my games still suck. I've also tried changing the IRQ that my graphics card is on, but that results in windows not booting.

Thanx in advance if you have any advice.

G

Try a different memory module (prolly isn't the memory but try anyway). Also, you may want to reinstall windows or try cache man 4.1 (search for on www.winfiles.com, its free and tells windows how 2 handle the disk cache); Also make sure that no irqs are conflicting if you haven't already done so.