[SOLVED] graphics RTX or GTX

sputterbug10

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016
I don't do any gaming on my desktop. Every time I research parts to my next computer so I can pick the best choice, people refer to what's best for gaming.
Question: Which is better for everything but gaming: Nvidia Geforce RTX or GTX?

Solution
Adding to what @hang-the-9 said, normally most Intel brand CPUs have integrated graphics and only a select few AMD brand CPU's have integrated graphics (Vega graphics as it's called). Please confirm that the CPU you intend to buy has integrated graphics that way you won't need to spend extra money on a graphics card. AMD has great multi-core performance which can be utilized well in a lot of everyday applications, but the only AMD chips that have integrated graphics usually have a small amount of cores. Meanwhile Intel chips have integrated graphics on almost all chips giving it a lot more variety in how much horsepower you want.
Adding to what @hang-the-9 said, normally most Intel brand CPUs have integrated graphics and only a select few AMD brand CPU's have integrated graphics (Vega graphics as it's called). Please confirm that the CPU you intend to buy has integrated graphics that way you won't need to spend extra money on a graphics card. AMD has great multi-core performance which can be utilized well in a lot of everyday applications, but the only AMD chips that have integrated graphics usually have a small amount of cores. Meanwhile Intel chips have integrated graphics on almost all chips giving it a lot more variety in how much horsepower you want.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
If GPU-accelerated workloads aren't part of your use case either, then just go with a CPU that has an IGP as others already said above. If your CPU-of-choice has no IGP, then just get the cheapest GPU you can get that still has all the video outputs you need since there is almost no performance difference between a GT710 and an RTX3090 for displaying desktop apps.

Deer87

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2015
If you don't play games you don't need a video card at all, just buy a CPU with onboard graphics. What is better for some specialized uses depends on the use and the exact card model and what the software likes to run on.
What about CAD and point clouds? Laserscanning and 3d moddelling based on photos from smaller drones are getting more and more common. There could be plenty of reasons for OP to need gpu power without being a gamer.