CPU: i7 9700k
Motherboard: ASRock 7390 Phantom Gaming 4
Ram: 16GB of Team T-Force Vulcan DDR4 3200
SSD/HDD: 1TB WD-Blue and Sandisk 250GB SSD
GPU: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB AMP Extreme Core
PSU: Corsair CX 750M
Chassis: NZXT h500
Monitor: ViewSonic XG2402 24 Inch 1080p 1ms 144 Hz Gaming Monitor

So after doing lots of testing, I've finally figured out just how to only describe this problem I'm having.
It's stuttering. Frame Skipping? Freezing but only for a split second?
It happens pretty much all the time, but it seems to be random too.
When I play games it seems to be the most random. For instance in PUBG or Apex Legends, things could be smooth one minute and the next I'm stuttering a whole lot.
But I was able to recreate the problem without being in a game.
I would just take a window, like I dunno task manager, and I would move it around my screen.
As I moved it around my screen, the window would randomly freeze, as if I left the window behind as I was dragging it across the screen.
Also I need to mention, while running stress tests with Aida64, this is when moving a window around would stutter. I figured it'd be a good test because it simulates same stress from playing a game and streaming.

This happened both on my main monitor (running through the GPU) and my second monitor (using intel graphics).
It didn't matter which display, it still happened on both, I even tried using a friends monitor.

So things I've ruled out:
Monitor (Happens on any display I use)
Hard Drive (Replaced my hard drive that was the boot drive, Also games installed on hdd or sdd seem to have problem either way)

As for everything else, ALL MY PARTS ARE NEW... EXCEPT FOR MY GRAPHICS CARD, and my power supply
I got my graphics card off of amazon warehouse. I was really nervous about the purchase but when the card came it looked brand new, literally didn't looked touched.
So far I find it hard to believe my graphics card would be causing the stuttering. After all it keeps pretty good temps and it is running at around 2000mhz.
As for my power supply, it was used in my old system. Funny thing is I had the same stuttering problem on that pc as this one. Could it really be the PSU that's the issue? How do I tell?

Cpu is at stock clock, with thermal throttling in bios turned off.

Anyways, I know it's a lot to read but Thank you for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Solution
But what I was wondering is something as simple as stuttering could really be because of the PSU?
I thought something wrong with a power supply would cause much worse problems.

I guess either way I was planning on buying a power supply, maybe use this old corsair for a diff less important pc build
The 1080 ti isn't no low power GPU and the CXM's, while being decent budget PSU's isn't really something I would pair it with especially if it's from a previous build. If the power delivery isn't up to the task then I would expect issues like this or even crashes.

wooley

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
Sounds like the PSU, only way to test it is to buy a new PSU or borrow one from a friend. If you buy one get something much better like the Seasonic Focus Gold 750W.
But what I was wondering is something as simple as stuttering could really be because of the PSU?

I guess either way I was planning on buying a power supply, maybe use this old corsair for a diff less important pc build

WildCard999

Titan

The 1080 ti isn't no low power GPU and the CXM's, while being decent budget PSU's isn't really something I would pair it with especially if it's from a previous build. If the power delivery isn't up to the task then I would expect issues like this or even crashes.

Solution