Question Graphics update - 1050 - > 1660Super/5600XT or wait?

godfree51586

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Hey all,
I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card so I can play 1080p games on my 27" monitor on high and the 1050 (not Ti!) definitely doesn't cut it for most games..

I can get the ASUS TUF 1660 SUPER for $209 ($196 shipped right now with points/discounts) or the Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT WINDFORCE for $249 ($239 shipped right now with points/discounts). I was really hoping to be sub-200 but is the $40 different between the 1660S and the 5600XT worth it for what I'd use it for?

Or... should I just wait until next-gen comes out? I know the mid-low tier cards come out a few months after the flagship ones, but are there any thoughts of them being even close to the sub-250 range?

I don't do any crazy gaming but the 1050 has pretty much lived its life over the past 2.5 years when my last PC died on me.

Jul 18, 2020
Get the 1660 super, if you want to do Ray tracing.
Get the 5600 XT, if you just wanna game. The 5600 XT has 2 - 5 fps gain than the 1660S.

Edit: If you can wait, get one of them RTX GPU's (RTX 3060). Personally i'd buy the RTX 2080 Super once it goes on sale when the RTX 3000 Series Releases.

Get the 1660 super, if you want to do Ray tracing.
Get the 5600 XT, if you just wanna game. The 5600 XT has 2 - 5 fps gain than the 1660S.

Edit: If you can wait, get one of them RTX GPU's (RTX 3060). Personally i'd buy the RTX 2080 Super once it goes on sale when the RTX 3000 Series Releases.

The 1660 Super does NOT do ray tracing; it's a Turing GPU, but it lacks RT or tensor cores. In order to do ray tracing the cheapest GPU you could get is a RTX 2060.

Reactions: JerryC
Well, now isn't the best time to buy a new GPU because of the upcoming new GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia. However, it does look like it'll be a while before anything in the $200ish range shows up, so it seems safe to buy something on the cheaper end if the GTX 1050 is holding him back.

I personally like Nvidia GPUs because of solid drivers, G-Sync, DLSS 2.0 and Ray tracing (2060 and up of course), but there are also people out there with 5600 XTs that they are very happy with. I'd recommend the 1660 Super to be on the safe side, but if you get the 5600 XT, I sincerely hope you get a good one and don't have any trouble. In the end its up to you.

Jul 18, 2020
Well, now isn't the best time to buy a new GPU because of the upcoming new GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia. However, it does look like it'll be a while before anything in the $200ish range shows up, so it seems safe to buy something on the cheaper end if the GTX 1050 is holding him back.

I personally like Nvidia GPUs because of solid drivers, G-Sync, DLSS 2.0 and Ray tracing (2060 and up of course), but there are also people out there with 5600 XTs that they are very happy with. I'd recommend the 1660 Super to be on the safe side, but if you get the 5600 XT, I sincerely hope you get a good one and don't have any trouble. In the end its up to you.
Well, my budget is well around 250$ to 350$, should i wait for the 2060 super to go to on sale or wait and get a RTX 3080, oh and also i have a Seasonic S12III 550w 80+ Bronze PSU, is that good enough?

Jul 18, 2020
I do not know how the next gen will be priced. I also don't know what RTX 20XX cards will be priced like when next gen comes out. What card do you have now and what resolution do you want to play at with what games? What monitor do you have?
Right now i currently have a 2200G with Integrated Graphics (Vega 8)
I have a 1080p monitor 22", planning to buy 1 more that supports 140hz. The games i wanna play them is at 1080p and at 120hz or higher

I'd say get a 2060 Super. That's a solid 1080p card that should work really well for your purposes. In the unlikely event you feel that it's not enough, you can probably sell it for a small loss in 6-8 months and pick up a 3060. Anything more powerful than a 2060 or 3060 and you'll need a better PSU.

Jul 18, 2020
I'd say get a 2060 Super. That's a solid 1080p card that should work really well for your purposes. In the unlikely event you feel that it's not enough, you can probably sell it for a small loss in 6-8 months and pick up a 3060. Anything more powerful than a 2060 or 3060 and you'll need a better PSU.
I have a Seasonic S12III 550w 80+ Bronze power supply is that good enough with the RTX 2060 Super? Because i will be upgrading my CPU to a 3600...

Nvidia says on their website that it recommends at least a 550 watt PSU for the 2060 Super. Technically you'll be fine, but if you can afford it and/or want to overclock your new 2060 super (easy to do) than I'd recommend a 650 watt 80+ Gold Seasonic or Corsair PSU.

Jul 18, 2020
Nvidia says on their website that it recommends at least a 550 watt PSU for the 2060 Super. Technically you'll be fine, but if you can afford it and/or want to overclock your new 2060 super (easy to do) than I'd recommend a 650 watt 80+ Gold Seasonic or Corsair PSU.
Ok, thanks :) you have been very helpful :)

Sure thing.

FYI, the 3600 you are thinking of getting has significantly higher boost clocks that the 2200; you should be fine on the CPU side of things if you choose to get a more powerful card in the future (within reason). Of course at that point you'll definitely want that more powerful PSU as well if you haven't upgraded it already.

TFBundy

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
OP, wait till next gen drops in about three months. Don't upgrade now. We might be verging on a Ryzen moment in GPUs finally. If, as rumours are correct, we are due for 2080Ti performance at ~2060 prices, even if you don't get the new cards, they will push down the price of the current ones.

Reactions: godfree51586
OP, wait till next gen drops in about three months. Don't upgrade now. We might be verging on a Ryzen moment in GPUs finally.

Like I said earlier, yes, next gen is coming out soon and the best bang for buck will likely come by waiting for those new cards to drop, but if it's anything like the 20XX release, it'll be January-February until we get a 3060. If they don't want to wait that long, there is nothing wrong with getting a relatively cheaper card right now.

TFBundy

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Like I said earlier, yes, next gen is coming out soon, but if it's anything like the 20XX release, it'll be January-February until we get a 3060. If they don't want to wait that long, there is nothing wrong with getting a relatively cheaper card right now.

Looks like they will be released (as in available for purchase) before end of the year. As always, we will get steep discounts on current stock and a flood of second hand ones. Why buy 2060 performance now when you can get 2080ti in four months, for the same price - regardless of how you go about it, nVidia or AMD, new or 2nd hand? Plus, the current 20xx series is likely to age terribly as their RT performance is awful compared to the upcoming cards - "age like Kepler" according to nVidia's own employees. Basically, they will be useless for RT loads aimed at anything newer - might as well save money and get 10xx series in that case.

Looks like they will be released (as in available for purchase) before end of the year. As always, we will get steep discounts on current stock and a flood of second hand ones. Why buy 2060 performance now when you can get 2080ti in four months, for the same price - regardless of how you go about it, nVidia or AMD, new or 2nd hand. Plus, the current 20xx series is likely to age terribly as their RT performance is awful compared to the upcoming cards - "age like Kepler" according to nVidia's own employees. Basically, they will be useless for RT loads aimed at anything newer - might as well save money and get 10xx series in that case.

You may be right. I guess we'll see soon enough.

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Hey all,
I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card so I can play 1080p games on my 27" monitor on high and the 1050 (not Ti!) definitely doesn't cut it for most games..

I can get the ASUS TUF 1660 SUPER for $209 ($196 shipped right now with points/discounts) or the Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT WINDFORCE for $249 ($239 shipped right now with points/discounts). I was really hoping to be sub-200 but is the $40 different between the 1660S and the 5600XT worth it for what I'd use it for?

Or... should I just wait until next-gen comes out? I know the mid-low tier cards come out a few months after the flagship ones, but are there any thoughts of them being even close to the sub-250 range?

I don't do any crazy gaming but the 1050 has pretty much lived its life over the past 2.5 years when my last PC died on me.

Honestly, unless you absolutely must have a GPU right this very moment, I would suggest waiting for the new GPUs from Nvidia and AMD to release. The new Nvidia series is a monster compared to the current generation, so if you can, then just wait for it to release

Reactions: godfree51586
And as stated in your other thread, I'd really look to replace that PSU as soon as you can if you're gonna be powering an expensive RTX card off it. It's not a great unit despite the Seasonic name. You did what you thought was sensible and went for a known good brand. But power supplies are a minefield. For example, Coolermaster make mostly bad units, but the MWE V2 units are known to be good quality.

godfree51586

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
So much great information here! Kind of glad this got taken over to an extent hahaha.

I didn't even think to mention my PSU. I'm currently running a CORSAIR CX450 450W 80 PLUS Bronze and of the places I checked it would be fine for the 1660S and "okay" for the 5600XT. Don't want to have to replace that as well if possible.

The next gen is supposed to be even more power efficient though isn't it? Minus that weird new 12 pin power connector I'm hearing about. I'll probably wait and see what happens, seems to be the general consensus and I don't NEED it now. A 1660S for $196 just sounded great. I'll just let my points stack up haha.

Honestly I never go for the super high end cards and don't care about Ray Tracing. I just want to play games and not have to be on low settings (looking at you Forza Horizon 3). But my mobo got fried 2-3 years ago when prices were ridiculous so did what I had to do to get up and running while doing minor upgrades.

Last edited: