[SOLVED] Graphics upgrade due to bottlenecking?

GreenGiant117

Honorable
Oct 14, 2016
So I helped my buddy build his PC a few years ago and it seems to be having some issues lately. For the most part dialing back the settings has resulted in better gameplay experience overall, but he got the Vive wireless adapter which is a known CPU hog, the issue is that when he uses it the PC bogs down horribly, frames frequently get to unplayable levels.
When diagnosing the issue I noticed that both his GPU and CPU usage was at nearly 100%, my assumption being that the GPU is maxed so normally it will offload some of its processing to the CPU, but since the wireless adapter uses 50-75% of the CPU capabilities this is where the issue lies.

Am I correct in my assumptions about GPU upgrade being needed?

Current setup:
i5-6600K
AMD RX-480 8GB (MSI branded, i don't remember specific model)

I was thinking of having him grab either the 1660ti, or a 5700xt since they are significant improvements and relatively inexpensive ($300 or $400 respectively)

Solution
When diagnosing the issue I noticed that both his GPU and CPU usage was at nearly 100%, my assumption being that the GPU is maxed so normally it will offload some of its processing to the CPU
No. It doesn't work like that. CPU does CPU job and GPU does GPU job.
No. Both need to be upgraded.
If cpu is already at 100%, getting more powerful gpu will just increase cpu bottleneck and gpu will not be able to work effectively.
When diagnosing the issue I noticed that both his GPU and CPU usage was at nearly 100%, my assumption being that the GPU is maxed so normally it will offload some of its processing to the CPU
No. It doesn't work like that. CPU does CPU job and GPU does GPU job.
No. Both need to be upgraded.
If cpu is already at 100%, getting more powerful gpu will just increase cpu bottleneck and gpu will not be able to work effectively.

Solution