[SOLVED] Gray SATA ports are working but white ports are not

bkhan23544

Honorable
Feb 18, 2018
I have a HP z420. I recently bought a SSD. I already have two HDDs which were connected to gray ports. When I connected ssd to a white port it doesn't get recognized even by bios. But when I put it in gray, it gets recognized but now I can't connect my other HDD because there are only 2 gray ports....Please tell me what I should do?

Solution
No, it also didn't show up in device manager.
But I Finally Solved it....DVD drive was showing up on SATA 4...I saw where it was connected..and I found 2 black SATA ports. One was occupied by DVD and other was empty...I connected my HDD to it and now all three are detected and working fine.

bkhan23544

Honorable
Feb 18, 2018
Do the HDDs work on white ports? I would check your BIOS to make sure ports are enabled. What other hardware is installed? Under certain configs in certain boards, ports may be disabled due to bandwidth limitations.
No, HDDs are not working on White ports. I checked bios to find any options to enable those white ports.....but I didn't find any. I just had two 500gb HDDs and now I bought a 128 gb ssd.

bkhan23544

Honorable
Feb 18, 2018
No, it also didn't show up in device manager.
But I Finally Solved it....DVD drive was showing up on SATA 4...I saw where it was connected..and I found 2 black SATA ports. One was occupied by DVD and other was empty...I connected my HDD to it and now all three are detected and working fine.

Solution
The SSD should definitely be connected to the gray (SATA 6GB/s).
The white ones should be "SCU" ports (SATA II) may have to check if they're enabled in bios or maybe in device mgr (drivers missing?)

There may also be black SATA AHCI ports - depending on the motherboard - for the HDD

I have a HP z420. I recently bought a SSD. I already have two HDDs which were connected to gray ports. When I connected ssd to a white port it doesn't get recognized even by bios. But when I put it in gray, it gets recognized but now I can't connect my other HDD because there are only 2 gray ports....Please tell me what I should do?