Article Great Article by toms' Hardware own Scharon Harding

Aug 5, 2021
This post is by memory, so I hope I get it right. Scharon wrote an article that so many posters have asked a zillion times it seems. What is Downbin? Binning is something that is done by Mfg's when a product does not meet standards. Sharon gave some great examples and I think the memory one might just apply to me and others. I have 4 sticks of memory in my new build, but only 2 were bought as a kit. The other 2 bought independently at different times. The 2 kit are 2666Mhz and the other 2 are 2133 Downbin .
She used a CPU, Ryzen 5 had some defects. Since it is a 4 core CPU, defaults were found and they disable 2 of the cores. It can not be sold as a 2 core Ryzen3.

So I have to assume my 2 sticks of Downbin did not meet the 2666Mhz. From memory the Down word references the lower memory, (?) I have my memory set at 2933Mhz and I can see some very minute shaking, but all is stable. Hope all this helps and I made no errors.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
there's several issues/things that needs clarification.

Firstly, don't mix and match memory, and secondly, can you clarify what is "very minute shaking", and what are the original speed of all the RAM and what model they are?

And well you got the concept of binning correct but it doesn't really apply here if you're using 2666 memory and 2133 memory modules at the same time

"Binning" is process for evaluation of performance and starts with "Garbage bin" for part that do not meet minimum requirements, normally conducted by QC.
At top of the heap are parts that exceed desired performance.
So all starts with QC and works-doesn't work.
If it doesn't work at all, hello garbage/recycle bin.
If it works, maybe check performance, depends on part or manufacturer.
In case of RAM, only individual chips are binned, alike ones mounted on module PCB and controller is programed to appropriate JEDEC standards. XMP (Intel's invention) may also be programed consisting of suggested settings for BIOS for best expected (and hopefully tested) performance.

Aug 5, 2021
Thanks to both replies. For 'proper' The sticks are Corsair 8GB 3200Mhz. I knew the 1666 and 2133 were Jedec standards, but did not understand why one was 2666 and the other 2133. I had a strong suspicion the word Bin ( Binning ) had something to do with it. 'Titan' you have ended my weeks of goggling on this subject. IMHO, I do not mind Mfg binning, but the word binned should be coded at the end of the part number.

To make this story have a Hallmark Christmas ending, I went back into my Bios and set speed at 3200Mhz and it runs perfect now. Maybe I was just lucky the 2133 stick is causing no problems. AGAIN, that so much for taking time to end my long journey on this topic.