Question Great decrease in FPS after dusting the pc

Mar 31, 2020
About a month ago I have been cleaning my pc, like every month I do. I decided to take off my cpu and change the paste. I cleaned the fan, cooler, and the processor, re-seated the gpu, everything was clean again. I booted my pc, everything was okay, until I started to game again. From 120-130fps I had in Hitman 2, i now have 50-60. And no, I didn't turn vsync on. In cod mw remaster from 100+fps I had 40-50 even in some places 20! And in csgo from 300+ on high settings i had, now it's 130 at low. LOW. And before you say anything about my temperatures: cpu is up to 40-50, and on gpu, when I play some more demanding games (h2, cod) it's 60-75c, but it was like that like forever. I reseated graphics, ram, and everything is still the same. What should I do next?

Specs:
Gpu: RX590 8gb Nitro+
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G
PS: Lc power 600H
RAM: 2x4 2666mhz
SSD: 240gb
HDD: 1tb
Mobo: Asus Prme A320m-k

Last edited:
is there a "Clear CMOS" or BIOS reset motherboard button you may have hit while cleaning? in this type of situation you would have to go through and reconfigure your BIOS to maximum options again.
and Windows has been known to sometimes randomly reset Power Options when totally powered down and rebooted. this would also need to be reconfigured to maximum options.

also, that is a rather low quality PSU manufacturer. it may just be going downhill with it's performance and showing through your other components not being powered efficiently anymore.
it could just be a coincidence that it showed this drastically at this time.

Mar 31, 2020
cpu/gpu temp and usage?

Now, that's interesting. I noticed that, games that uses more gpu than cpu, in this case, it means nothing. Cpu usage can go even to 80-90&, but gpu stays at 50% at most. Temps are quite good as I mentioned, CPU never goes more than 50, and GPU with some more demanding games can go to 75 max.

Mar 31, 2020
is there a "Clear CMOS" or BIOS reset motherboard button you may have hit while cleaning? in this type of situation you would have to go through and reconfigure your BIOS to maximum options again.
and Windows has been known to sometimes randomly reset Power Options when totally powered down and rebooted. this would also need to be reconfigured to maximum options.

also, that is a rather low quality PSU manufacturer. it may just be going downhill with it's performance and showing through your other components not being powered efficiently anymore.
it could just be a coincidence that it showed this drastically at this time.

Well, I got the cmos battery out because it was very dusty, yes. Psu was bought 3 months ago, and it worked quite good for it's price I guess. No problems till now. Also, it's been one month, month and a half that drops fps like this.

Last edited:
first run any "optimized defaults" option that may be available. it will detect and change certain settings depending on your installed devices & hardware.
then set CPU speed & voltages to the manufacturer stated specs. or to any overclock settings you want to use.
then set RAM to use AMP, XML, or an available speed profile. if none available; enter your manufacturer stated RAM frequency, timings, and voltage manually.
make sure any PCIe options are set correctly. like PCIe speeds; 16x, 8x, 4x, 1x. make sure the slot your GPU is in is set for 16x and any power options are set to auto or highest available.

some BIOS are difficult to navigate and use phrases or descriptions you may not recognize. if having a difficult time; try searching the web for articles or videos showing users manually configuring your particular motherboard.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Now, that's interesting. I noticed that, games that uses more gpu than cpu, in this case, it means nothing. Cpu usage can go even to 80-90&, but gpu stays at 50% at most. Temps are quite good as I mentioned, CPU never goes more than 50, and GPU with some more demanding games can go to 75 max.
Because today's cpus have multiple cores/threads, looking at 'whole' cpu usage is incorrect, unlike with ram, gpu, and gpu vram.
You have to look at each core/thread, because all it takes is 1 to be cpu limited.

Mar 31, 2020
I've been trying to find anything that could help me on internet, but hell, it's so confusing, cannot find pcie, no speed profiles for RAM, no voltage for ram, couple of dozen cpu voltage types... But I did set everything on default, but it didn't help anything.

Mar 31, 2020
As I mentioned above, I am no expert in this. I am sorry if I am boring or anything (I am), and I can call myself stupid, but I still cannot find anything useful for me. It's just too goddamn complicated, I am very new to this. I am trying to figure out anything, but it's just not working. Any chances by You to send me some links to the sites that would be helpful for me?