Great eMachines we have

We love our eMachines, no problems at all. We have 3 eMachines and they all
work very well. Great buys for the money!!

What's your experience with eMachines?

Thanks!

SOX

Bought one for the wife in April 1999 (eOne all in one), rotated it to
the mother in law in November 2002 (Bought a Gateway Profile 4 XL) for the
wife. The eOne works perfect to this day.

I hope the Gateway holds up as well seeing I paid $1200 more than the
eMachine. On the other hand I also own three Dells all in service and a
forth one still working but not used. Given a choice between all three (
eMachine, Gateway, Dell ) for the same money I would buy the Dell hands
down.

This is just my take on it, my two cents if you will !

S3

"SOX" <sox@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> We love our eMachines, no problems at all. We have 3 eMachines and they
all
> work very well. Great buys for the money!!
>
> What's your experience with eMachines?
>
> Thanks!
>
> SOX

We used to spend $2,000 or more on an expensive computer. These days for
$700 we can get very good quality computers already. Great deal!!

SOX

"S3Trio" <NOs3trio@yahoo.comSPAM> wrote in message
> Bought one for the wife in April 1999 (eOne all in one), rotated it
> the mother in law in November 2002 (Bought a Gateway Profile 4 XL) for the
> wife. The eOne works perfect to this day.
>
> I hope the Gateway holds up as well seeing I paid $1200 more than
the
> eMachine. On the other hand I also own three Dells all in service and a
> forth one still working but not used. Given a choice between all three (
> eMachine, Gateway, Dell ) for the same money I would buy the Dell hands
> down.
>
> This is just my take on it, my two cents if you will !
>
> S3
>

> "SOX" <sox@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > We love our eMachines, no problems at all. We have 3 eMachines and they
> all
> > work very well. Great buys for the money!!
> >
> > What's your experience with eMachines?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > SOX

HowdyDoody

I have bought four GW machines and two E-Machines, and although I had minor problems with both, I have been very lucky
that they all work well. Hope now that GW owns E, they don't screw around with the pricing, as GW was always more
pricier than E. How can you go wrong paying $350 for a 2.8 Celeron, 17 inch monitor and printer???

HD

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 18:23:40 GMT, "SOX" <sox@mchsi.com> wrote:

>We love our eMachines, no problems at all. We have 3 eMachines and they all
>work very well. Great buys for the money!!
>
>What's your experience with eMachines?
>
>Thanks!
>
>SOX

"How can you go wrong paying $350 for a 2.8 Celeron, 17 inch monitor and
printer???" True, that's a very attractive price. If the equipment works well
for a year, then croaks, simply buy another one. But what about all your
personal data stuck inside the computer when it bites the dust? What value does
that personal data have if lost beyond recall? How much does it take to
re-create the personal data? All too often people buy computers without
considering that the data inside the computer is really more valuable than the
hardware. So if you are going to be accumulating valuable personal (or
business) data in ANY brand of computer, consider investing in some sort of
device to back up the data regularly.

Although Gateway "owns" eMachines, it is very telling that the new CEO is the
most recent eMachines CEO. I suspect that bargain-basement pricing will
continue. The closing of the Country Stores takes an axe to slashing the
overhead of running the merged operation. It also means that service levels are
diminished considerably. I think I'll contact eGateway and see what it takes to
become an authorized service provider in my area. I smell an business
opportunity here... Ben Myers

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 01:03:12 GMT, HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> wrote:

>I have bought four GW machines and two E-Machines, and although I had minor problems with both, I have been very lucky
>that they all work well. Hope now that GW owns E, they don't screw around with the pricing, as GW was always more
>pricier than E. How can you go wrong paying $350 for a 2.8 Celeron, 17 inch monitor and printer???
>
>HD
>

>On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 18:23:40 GMT, "SOX" <sox@mchsi.com> wrote:
>
>>We love our eMachines, no problems at all. We have 3 eMachines and they all
>>work very well. Great buys for the money!!
>>
>>What's your experience with eMachines?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>SOX

We have an eMachine 450Mhz at our office that has been on since the day we
bought it. We've had to replace the fans and I don't know how long it was
running without the fans.

Mark

HowdyDoody

To answer your question, I have always had an external hard drive that I use to back up my data, always have, always
will. I have many friends whose GW, IBM, HP machines have had hard drive problems, so I just don't agree to your
asumption, that buying a "cheap" E-Machine somehow means that it will have hard drive problems.

I have bought GW machines at a high cost and GW's at a lower cost, and they all seem to work well, of course depending
on the needs that individual buyers have, the only differences seem to be, more HD, better graphics, DVD, CD-RW.,etc,
but the the average user, a less expensive machine is fine.

By the way, one of the "better" machines out there is by a company called Medion, and their machines are very highly
rated, and they are sold through Aldi food stores, and Costco at very competitive pricing.

Lots of luck in making the demise of GW stores a business opportunity for yourself.

HD

Ben Myers wrote:
> <>
>
> Although Gateway "owns" eMachines, it is very telling that the new CEO is the
> most recent eMachines CEO. I suspect that bargain-basement pricing will
> continue. The closing of the Country Stores takes an axe to slashing the
> overhead of running the merged operation. It also means that service levels are
> diminished considerably. I think I'll contact eGateway and see what it takes to
> become an authorized service provider in my area. I smell an business
> opportunity here... Ben Myers

Sounds like a great idea to me! You could get hundreds of recommendations
[if needed] right here. :)
bj

That's what backups are for, and even good hardware can necessitate the use
of a backup here and there.

There's very, very little difference in hardware among any of the major
computer vendors these days - one reason Gateway is in trouble is because it
is too dependent on commodity hardware. It didn't branch out into
high-margin server and SAN sales the way Dell did, and it doesn't have a
printer ink and paper business to sustain it (the lion's share of profits at
HPaq comes from selling not high-tech computers, servers, or printers, but
from selling overpriced ink and paper).

The weakest link in a personal computer is no longer the hardware - that is
more robust than it's ever been. The weakest link is the flimsy, insecure,
virus/trojan/spyware/hijack prone operating system that comes with over 90%
of the world's PCs.

> "How can you go wrong paying $350 for a 2.8 Celeron, 17 inch monitor and
> printer???" True, that's a very attractive price. If the equipment works
well
> for a year, then croaks, simply buy another one. But what about all your
> personal data stuck inside the computer when it bites the dust? What
value does
> that personal data have if lost beyond recall? How much does it take to
> re-create the personal data? All too often people buy computers without
> considering that the data inside the computer is really more valuable than
the
> hardware. So if you are going to be accumulating valuable personal (or
> business) data in ANY brand of computer, consider investing in some sort
of
> device to back up the data regularly.
>
> Although Gateway "owns" eMachines, it is very telling that the new CEO is
the
> most recent eMachines CEO. I suspect that bargain-basement pricing will
> continue. The closing of the Country Stores takes an axe to slashing the
> overhead of running the merged operation. It also means that service
levels are
> diminished considerably. I think I'll contact eGateway and see what it
takes to
> become an authorized service provider in my area. I smell an business
> opportunity here... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 01:03:12 GMT, HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> wrote:
>
> >I have bought four GW machines and two E-Machines, and although I had
minor problems with both, I have been very lucky
> >that they all work well. Hope now that GW owns E, they don't screw around
with the pricing, as GW was always more
> >pricier than E. How can you go wrong paying $350 for a 2.8 Celeron, 17
inch monitor and printer???

> >HD
> >

> >On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 18:23:40 GMT, "SOX" <sox@mchsi.com> wrote:
> >
> >>We love our eMachines, no problems at all. We have 3 eMachines and they
all
> >>work very well. Great buys for the money!!
> >>
> >>What's your experience with eMachines?
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>
> >>SOX

"SOX" <sox@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> We love our eMachines, no problems at all. We have 3 eMachines and they
all
> work very well. Great buys for the money!!
>
> What's your experience with eMachines?
>
> Thanks!
>
> SOX

i still have my e-one 433 running pretty good
the hard drive just may be going soon ( the computer is on 24/7 for the last
2 years)
upgraded the ram to 196
and the screen still looks good
but one thing i like to ask is
has anyone tred to turn this one into a winxp yet?
peter

I tried to upgrade my wife's eOne 433 to Win 2000 Pro a while
back. The installion went flawlesly, however their are no manual settings
for the display monitor as you know. All adjustments must be made through
control panel. The display program that is on the restore disk to make these
adjustments is for Windows 98 only and refuses to install to 2000 with an
error message. It has an intergrated chip made by ATI and on their web site
they had only updated drivers for it no adjustment program.

So like I said the operating system worked fine but the graphic
interface was three inches to the right and two inches to the top and no way
to adjust it. The machine is used every day with no problems since April
1999. I own a one and a half year old Gateway Profile 4 XL and hope it gives
the service the little eOne has thus far.

"news" <stingray_2010@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "SOX" <sox@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > We love our eMachines, no problems at all. We have 3 eMachines and they
> all
> > work very well. Great buys for the money!!
> >
> > What's your experience with eMachines?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > SOX
> >

> i still have my e-one 433 running pretty good
> the hard drive just may be going soon ( the computer is on 24/7 for the
last
> 2 years)
> upgraded the ram to 196
> and the screen still looks good
> but one thing i like to ask is
> has anyone tred to turn this one into a winxp yet?
> peter

You get what you pay for. It's that simple. I would rather pay a
little more than for an eMachine, and buy a white box machine I build
myself-takes less than an hour-with top qual components.

All hard drives are vendor items. eMachines buys the same drive GW,
Dell, HP, and everyone else do. If the p/s or mbd quits, you always
can take out the hdd and put it elsewhere. But the p/s could fail in a
manner taking out the hdd-not likely, possible. You DID back up,
right????

Becoming a Gateway ASP is a pain in the ass. No one at gateway will
even tell you the secret number you have to call to set it up, and
warranty reimbursement can be slow. You also have to run the Siebel
CRM application, which is Web-based, but a pain in the ass to set up.
It can be extraordinarily erratic. When Siebel crashes-oh yes, it's
outsourced-no one does anything.

Gateway to me is just a memory of something that was and no longer
can be. I knew some great Gateway people, at Rio Rancho and Colorado
Springs, and they have all been "impacted".