Great hardware, terrible fps.

MMPLegacy

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hey there,

I've recently built a new rig after purchasing about $1300 of computer components during the Black Friday sales. My issue I'm currently having is my lack of fps. I would assume that I could run most, if not all, games on high graphics- which is not the case. I can barely play simple games, such as Team Fortress 2, on low settings without having 15-23 fps.

I'll post my rig information at the bottom of the post, but any help would be most appreciated. The last thing I want to do is rip my computer apart and RMA my components.

P.S- I apologize for the abnormally large Spoiler box. If I knew how to decrease the size of the window, I would have.

Information:

MOBO: EVGA Z68 FTW
CPY: Intel i7 2600k
PSU: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 2GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3
HD1: Vertex 3 128GB SSD
HD2: WD 500GB

^ +1 It took me a while but the info is there!
@ MMPLegacy: Something's very wrong there, by second E6600/8800GT (Yes THE 8800GT) is faster.
Boot the system, open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and check the CPU usage and what processes are running. At idle you might see plenty of stuff loaded and running but CPU useage should be tiny.

The essential information out of the spoiler box:

Processor: Intel i7-2600K
Memory: 16 GB DDR3
Graphics card: Nvidia GTX 660 2 GB
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor resolution: 1920x1080

You can remove the rest.

Still missing info about the power supply unit, motherboard, CPU cooling, overclocking (if there has been any), hard drive configuration and computer case.

MMPLegacy

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Sorry, I figured that would give a full description of what was in my computer- but here is the list of components:

MOBO: EVGA Z68 FTW
Processor: Intel i7 2600k
Power Supply: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 2GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3
HD1: Vertex 3 128GB SSD
HD2: WD 500GB

Don't know if I'm missing anything else, but that's most of the components right there..

MMPLegacy

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hmm.. don't know if this is correct, but 9.18.13.1070? Also, I forgot to mention something else- I don't know if it makes a difference or not- but I'm currently running two monitors. They're both different monitors; Ones a Asus 24", the other is a 19". I don't know if the difference in resolution would affect it, kinda like having four different tires for a truck would mess *** up.

It's correct. Look at last 5 digits - it's 310 70 version.

And no, the difference in monitor size shouldn't affect it at all.

Oh, just one thing: you didn't forget to actually plug your monitor into the graphics card instead of the motherboard, did you?

Okay, too bad the fix wasn't that easy :).

Next step is to download MSI Afterburner, go to its settings -> monitoring, select GPU Usage and tick "Show in On-Screen Display". Press OK and without exiting MSI afterburner launch a game in which you have bad performance. Report the average GPU usage - you should see it in top left corner of the game.

P. S. Could you press quick edit on your original post and delete that huge piece of useless info? Would make navigating through the thread much easier.