Great Internet, High Ping

Stephen8799

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015
When playing games like CS:GO I am always running a ping of around 50ms, sometimes higher and sometimes lower, but I have internet speeds of 30mbps. Now, my biggest concern is how my cousin that lives in Vermont (I live in Maine) has around 15 ping on the same server as me when he is using wifi on internet speeds much lower than mine. Side note: I am hardwired and have tried wifi to see if there was a difference, but there is not. I understand the concept of having to ping to a server, but his state would should not receive that much lower of a ping than mine if the servers were located in populated New England areas. Is there anything I can do to improve this?

Solution
Try power cycling the modem/router.

And depending on which ISP you have, they may have to route through a lot more stops than your cousin.

Run a Tracert through command prompt and see how many stops you have versus your cousin (may have to do this a few times to get an average).
Location and bandwidth in this case have nothing to do with your ping. Likely your cousins ISP is routing his traffic more directly to the server then yours. The additional server hops are what's causing the higher ping. You can verify this by opening cmd prompt and run "tracert xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where x is the server IP. Also speed and latency "ping" are not directly related. You would be surprised how little actual bandwidth you need for gaming.

Stephen8799

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015

Thank you for the response, is there anything I can do to improve this on my end?

You could try services like WTFast. What they do is grant you access to a server network which can hopefully provide a more direct route then what your ISP is using. Personally I've never used it myself and I hear stories with mixed result. User discretion is advised. As far as a free solution your SOL as far as I know. Your ISP is not likely to re route your traffic no matter how nicely you ask them.

https://www.wtfast.com/

rpenri

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Try power cycling the modem/router.

And depending on which ISP you have, they may have to route through a lot more stops than your cousin.

Run a Tracert through command prompt and see how many stops you have versus your cousin (may have to do this a few times to get an average).

Solution