[SOLVED] Great rig, bad performance (help please)

J_dizzle

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Hi,
I'm not sure what to do. I play games like league of legends, for honor, subnautica, fallout 4, the forest, and others. I also use fruity loops (music software) and in almost every game/software I play I always see performance issues. What can I do about this? My specs with a benchmark test from userbenchmark are as follows:
UserBenchmarks: Game 36%, Desk 35%, Work 29%
CPU: AMD FX-8120 - 42.6%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 - 47.4%
HDD: WD Black 1TB (2010) - 45.5%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB - 74.3%
RAM: G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3 1600 C9 2x4GB - 44%
MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

I've done some research and I'm using the second strongest processor that you can with my MB, and the whole set up wasn't cheap. (I got it about 4 years ago for $1400, I don't understand why something so expensive can under perform so much. The bench mark shows my rig is performing as expected in almost everything but ram and HD, is there any way to improve performance without expensive upgrades? Or is my rig doing the best it can?

Issues I'm getting: Random drastic drops in frame rates, Sometimes a full on temporary freeze while playing, having to lower graphics to the minimum in hopes that it'll help (and still getting previous issues)
Thank you for your time/help
-Joe

Solution
Your system is compared to similar newer systems... so several months from now it will be even lower no matter the price you paid.
You could build a new system for around half you paid at that time, and it will perform better than that system.

While you are running the test make sure to disable as many task as possible and pause any antivirus scans that could make your disk appear slower than it is actually.

How are your system temperatures when idle and load?
Your system could benefit from a SSD as a main disk and more RAM. 8GB of RAM is, pretty much, the minimum for a gaming system.
Depending of the fruity loops project size it could easily run out memory. Do you have the 32 or 64-bit version?

You need to take in consideration that...
Your system is compared to similar newer systems... so several months from now it will be even lower no matter the price you paid.
You could build a new system for around half you paid at that time, and it will perform better than that system.

While you are running the test make sure to disable as many task as possible and pause any antivirus scans that could make your disk appear slower than it is actually.

Your system could benefit from a SSD as a main disk and more RAM. 8GB of RAM is, pretty much, the minimum for a gaming system.
Depending of the fruity loops project size it could easily run out memory. Do you have the 32 or 64-bit version?

You need to take in consideration that you have a 4-year old system with 6-year old hardware.
It is time for an upgrade or better yet...a new system.

Reactions: J_dizzle
Solution
1600MHz memory is a little slow as you can use 1866MHz when using two modules with a FX-8120. You may need to set DRAM timings either manually or by enabling DOCP.

GTX 770 is an old video card that requires lots of power. Inadequate power supplies can give a variety of symptoms.
Minimum Recommended System Power - 600 watts

J_dizzle

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Unfortunately you have an "ok" rig, even back then it was not a top performer. By today's standards, it can be beaten in performance by an i3. Your system is outdated. Lowering settings is all you can do.

Use MSI afterburner to keep an eye on temps as well.
ah okay, fair enough. I guess I'll look into building a new system

J_dizzle

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015

You need to take in consideration that you have a 4-year old system with 6-year old hardware.
It is time for an upgrade or better yet...a new system.
Dang really? Also the guy who bought all my parts got them off ebay so I feel like I could probably find cheaper stuff.

Yeah during the benchmark I had nothing else going.

It idles at about 65, tops out at 90 c (I just have the stock fan at the moment since my water cooler busted)

And I have the 64 bit version.

and I'll think about that. I've been holding off upgrades, but at this point you think it'd be best to just start from scratch?

J_dizzle

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
You should come up with a budget and we could recommend the components.
You could reuse some of the components (GTX 770, WD Black 1TB & Barracuda 3TB)
But this time, go with a SSD as the main system drive and keep those as storage.
oh I would definitely appreciate that!
But where would a budget even begin at in your mind for what I'm looking for? Like I said I spent $1400 on this rig. would I be looking at about the same amount? Or drastically lower?

J_dizzle

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
But this time, go with a SSD as the main system drive and keep those as storage.
But where would a budget even begin at in your mind for what I'm looking for? Like I said I spent $1400 on this rig. would I be looking at about the same amount? Or drastically lower?

I was thinking around $700 since you are reusing some of the components...of course you could get better gaming performance with a newer GPU (e.g. RTX 2060) and that will bring the price into the 1k arena.

Something like this for less than $700
Ryzen 5 2600X
CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler
MSI PERFORMANCE GAMING X470
CORSAIR TX-M Series TX550M PSU (or Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-550FX )
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3200MHz (For AMD) 16GB (2 x 8GB)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe/NVMe SSD

J_dizzle

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015

Hey hey! I know it's a late reply, but my budget is around $1000 for the components, what do you recommend?

Aug 27, 2019
If you can stretch your 1000 usd a little, a company by me just released their new batch of gaming PCs. https://www.novatech.co.uk/reign-gaming/
Check them out, as I use mine (Sentry MK1) on games like witcher, star wars, skyrim etc and also use it for video editing and I have had no performance issues what so ever (its been 1 month). I've also used FL studio before (not on my new PC) and the sentry will be more than capable of running the program with ease. Hope this helps!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hey hey! I know it's a late reply, but my budget is around $1000 for the components, what do you recommend?
Something like this would be nice:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($195.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($163.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 580 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $778.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-27 11:31 EDT-0400

If you feel that's too much, you still have the option of holding off purchasing a graphics card for later.

J_dizzle

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Something like this would be nice:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($195.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($163.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 580 8 GB Phantom Gaming X Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $778.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-27 11:31 EDT-0400

If you feel that's too much, you still have the option of holding off purchasing a graphics card for later.

PC components prices fluctuate a bit, so post back here when you're ready to purchase.
hey again! here we are almost a year later lol, I'm going to have about $1000 for an upgrade. I was going to time it for black friday to get the best deals, but I was going to keep my PSU, case, and cooler, upgrading my CPU, MB, Video card, Ram, and I'll probably get one SSD,

any new recomendations? or should I stick closely to what was recomended before? Thanks again for all the help!

hey again! here we are almost a year later lol, I'm going to have about $1000 for an upgrade. I was going to time it for black friday to get the best deals, but I was going to keep my PSU, case, and cooler, upgrading my CPU, MB, Video card, Ram, and I'll probably get one SSD,

any new recomendations? or should I stick closely to what was recomended before? Thanks again for all the help!
Some of the components prices have gone up gradually, of course to bring them back down during holiday season so we think we are getting a good deal.

I will keep most of the recommended components, but I would go with the MSI ARSENAL GAMING B450 TOMAHAWK motherboard and the $$ saved put it towards a GeForce GTX 1660.

J_dizzle

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
Some of the components prices have gone up gradually, of course to bring them back down during holiday season so we think we are getting a good deal.

I will keep most of the recommended components, but I would go with the MSI ARSENAL GAMING B450 TOMAHAWK motherboard and the $$ saved put it towards a GeForce GTX 1660.
yeah i noticed that too, when I was shopping around looking for parts (the MSI rtx 2070) the price was almost $100 cheaper than it is now lol, do you think the gtx is better than a msi rtx 2070?
(recomended from a friend)

J_dizzle

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015

I'm sorry I think I'm being dumb and not explaining enough cuz I'm confused lol, but you said you would put money towards a GeForce GTX 1660,

I was shopping around / looking at an MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 since one of my friends recommended that.

His recommendation came because I told him I wanted to upgrade my computer ($1000 budget) but I was going to keep some of the stuff. So I was going to upgrade my graphics card, my CPU, my mother board, and my ram. he suggested :

Gigabyte x 570 gaming x
ryzen 5 3600
Corsair vengeance lpx 16 gb (2x8gb) ddr4,
MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2070

so when you said the GTX I was confused lol

I'm sorry I think I'm being dumb and not explaining enough cuz I'm confused lol, but you said you would put money towards a GeForce GTX 1660,

I was shopping around / looking at an MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 since one of my friends recommended that.

His recommendation came because I told him I wanted to upgrade my computer ($1000 budget) but I was going to keep some of the stuff. So I was going to upgrade my graphics card, my CPU, my mother board, and my ram. he suggested :

Gigabyte x 570 gaming x
ryzen 5 3600
Corsair vengeance lpx 16 gb (2x8gb) ddr4,
MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2070

so when you said the GTX I was confused lol
I mentioned the GeForce GTX 1660 because it performs better than the Radeon RX 580 previously recommended above.
But if you want more performance and it is within your budget then the GeForce RTX 2070 will be a better choice.