Green and pink pixels cover screen, at boot

Franko330

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hello,

I've been building a new PC and trying to get 3-way crossfire working on three 7950's. I've hooked everything up properly, installed windows, installed drivers, but just haven't been able to get windows to recognise all three cards.

I first installed them in a PC I had already built and bought a 1000w PSU to go with them. After a while with this build I did manage to get all three cards recognised, but it blue screened after about 20 minutes of playing a game. After this blue screen I get green pixels surrounding words/images projected on the screen at boot, and this stays when loaded into windows. After this I swapped the card that the monitor was connected to with one of the other cards and also seated this in a different PCI-e slot, but the same thing occurred.

At this point I assumed that something had gone wrong with the motherboard, so started a new build with the same GPUs and PSU. Once again, the GPUs seemed fine and I installed windows, drivers, but again couldnt get all 3 cards to work. With no crossfire bridges installed it would only recognise 2 cards and when I installed the crossfire bridges only 2 cards seemed to power up (middle card fans were not spinning). I then swapped the crossfire bridges to the opposite ports of the card, and then the same green/pink pixels occur at boot.

I don't know what to do at this point, I don't know whats causing this to happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture of what I see when windows is booted:
http://tinypic.com/r/w0l2r9/5

http://tinypic.com/r/6em7pv/5

1st build specs:

1000w fractal design PSU
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Intel i7 950
6gb Corsair RAM
500gb WD hard drive 7200RPM

2nd build specs:

1000w fractal design PSU
ASRock 970 extreme 4
AMD sempron 145
4gb corsair RAM
60gb Kingston SSD
2x powered PCI-e risers 16x to 16x
1x powered PCI-e riser 1x to 16x

Solution
sounds like the risers and stuff like that could be the problem. the 970 chipset isn't even really good for 2x never mind 3x and those powered risers give issues.

graphic issues like that usually mean heat though, or solder joints coming out.
sounds like the risers and stuff like that could be the problem. the 970 chipset isn't even really good for 2x never mind 3x and those powered risers give issues.

graphic issues like that usually mean heat though, or solder joints coming out.

Solution

Franko330

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Just noticed one of the small wires on one of the riser cables was damaged, I assume this has what been causing the issue as I was also using this cable in the first build. So annoying, do you think I will be able to RMA the motherboard at all? It's only a week old, and a waste of £60 or whatever I paid for it.

I'd keep it as a spare, by the time you've paid for shipping and lost the VAT it'll be virtually worthless, assuming they'll be nice enough to accept the return. Shame it's that old, if you'd have found out a few days ago you could have returned it under the Distance Selling Regulations-Google it. ;)

Franko330

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

looked into this and it says 7 days starting from the day after you receive the items. It's actually only been 5 days, so i'm getting on this straight away! Thanks!