Question Green screen problem with PowerColor R9 380x

pirveliv

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
Hello I have Dataland Myst R9 380x and it's giving randomly green screens. Weird thing is I can run furmark for hours and it won't give green screen. They usually occur when I'm not doing much or when computer just started.

1. I've tried resitting the GPU.
  2. Uninstalling drivers with DDU in safe mode and reinstalling latest driver.
  3. Installing older drivers.
  4. Replacing HDMI cable.
  5. Using different port.
  6. Applying new thermal paste.
  7. Bios reset - vBios reflash

Yesterday I played for 3 hours no green screen. Today when just browsing green screen popped out again.

P.s the temps are normal and acceptable.

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Dataland R9 380x Myst Edition

CPU: i7 7700

Ram: 1x8 DDR4 2666

PSU: 700w OCZ ModXStream-Pro

GPU Driver: Latest available

Lutfij

Titan
Perhaps the issue is with using the latest GPU drivers, cards of that age or series tend to exhibit an anomaly with the latest drivers. See if you can use older drivers and if the issue is alleviated. On another note, that PSU needs to go, ASAP, it's not worth running in your system, that could very well be the cause of your green screen/artifacting. Make and model of your motherboard and the BIOS version at the time of writing? Version for Windows 10?

Reactions: pirveliv

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Are you overclocked? Have you got afterburner installed?

you flashed the vbios, are you sure it is correct one? Flashing a different vbios may potentially cause hardware problems.

have you checked the vrm thermal pads?

pirveliv

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
Only time I got green screen it turned out to be monitor problem.
Hey, I'll definitely check if the monitor is the problem.

Perhaps the issue is with using the latest GPU drivers, cards of that age or series tend to exhibit an anomaly with the latest drivers. See if you can use older drivers and if the issue is alleviated. On another note, that PSU needs to go, ASAP, it's not worth running in your system, that could very well be the cause of your green screen/artifacting. Make and model of your motherboard and the BIOS version at the time of writing? Version for Windows 10?
I've tried older Driver but not super old. I think the oldest one I tried was 20.9.1 version. Should I try older drivers? Motherboard is Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, latest bios installed. Windows 10 Pro - 21H1.

Are you overclocked? Have you got afterburner installed?

you flashed the vbios, are you sure it is correct one? Flashing a different vbios may potentially cause hardware problems.

have you checked the vrm thermal pads?

I definitely flashed the correct bios. As I said the problem was happening before flashing and stayed after. I replaced thermal pads too. I'm not sure about overclocking. The GPU comes factory oc I think. I did try reducing clockspeed and memory but didn't help. No afterburner installed at the moment.

pirveliv

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
The weird thing is, I've left it running just to try and get green screen. I tried furmark and occt no errors or green screen. It's been working for 4 hours almost. So the green screen is random and mostly it happens during startup when GPU is idle.:unsure:

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Try resetting radeon settings and wattman to default.
have you installed any software that might have caused this issue?
the latest driver for this gpu is 21.5.1, i have tested it with no issue whatsoever.

try changing monitor or psu like what the others said. I’m also suspecting a psu problem, cheap psus always strike back, eventually… but when it does, its irrecoverable damage.

pirveliv

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
Try resetting radeon settings and wattman to default.
have you installed any software that might have caused this issue?
the latest driver for this gpu is 21.5.1, i have tested it with no issue whatsoever.

try changing monitor or psu like what the others said. I’m also suspecting a psu problem, cheap psus always strike back, eventually… but when it does, its irrecoverable damage.

No software that I can think of. I have the 21.5.2 version installed. PSU is not really a cheapo, but it is quite old about 6-7 years. I had GTX 960 working on it about a month ago without any problem. I'll try changing PSU and Monitor for now and maybe try older drivers. Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. If you have more ideas, keep em coming :D

TRENDING THREADS