Question Green Screening Vega 8 2200G

Apr 9, 2019
Hi guys

Long time reader first time poster and after some assistance.

I just finished building a little case for the kidlets:
-ASUS Prime A320M-K.
-Ryzen 3 2200G Vega 8 IGFX (IGFX is enabled in BIOS and not Pcie).
-G-Skill 8gb RAM.
-BIOS is UEFI enabled on boot drive (Crucial 500gb SSD) and up to date.
-VRAM allocated to NB configuration is currently set at 64mb although I have tried everything from 'Auto' through to 2gb.
-Windows 10 Pro - current build and fully up to date.

I have tried the Adrenalin build recommended on Radeon site which is v19.1. I have also rolled that back with a clean uninstall and tried v18.2.1.

I'm getting nothing but green screens. Anyone got any advice for me? I am about 2 seconds away from throwing in the GT710 I have in the cupboard.

Thank you

Apr 9, 2019
Fellow Catter!! Thank you. I have tried 3. Current cable is an Antsig gold plated HDMI..connections are solid.
My only other option is VGA. If it matters, I'm using a 50" Samsung TV 1080p.
The green screening is immediate on restart.
Only games they want to play are Lego on Steam, Heartbroken, Roblox, Minecraft etc

Thanks

Apr 9, 2019
Fellow Catter!! Thank you. I have tried 3. Current cable is an Antsig gold plated HDMI..connections are solid.
My only other option is VGA. If it matters, I'm using a 50" Samsung TV 1080p.
The green screening is immediate on restart.
Only games they want to play are Lego on Steam, Hearthstone (edit) , Roblox, Minecraft etc

Thanks

Apr 9, 2019
Ok. So with the 710 installed I can boot up and get to Windows no problems. GPUz reports the 710 but several indicators are at zero.
The BIOS will not allow itself to be set to Pcie. It does, but on restart reverts back to IGFX every time.
I moved onto installing Nvidia drivers, which installed just fine, however the Nvidia settings then report that 'there is no no Nvidia device attached to the display'.
I also tried another monitor for kicks, same result.
Of course, while this is happening, Windows 10 auto updates drivers for Vega 8 and I get green screened again.
I'm thinking the motherboard is cactus. Thoughts?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Trust me, if it works, it's better to feel dumb and fix the PC instantly for free than feel smart and have to swap out hardware!

If it makes you feel better, I once breadboarded a PC that I could not get to turn on and it took me using a multimeter on the disassembled PC to realize the cord had come out of the PSU just enough for it not to work. And I've worked on a lot of PCs.

Reactions: YeahNah and boju
Apr 9, 2019
I feel better hearing about these other events so thanks haha.
Well, not surprisingly, the card works just fine and my young lad is currently doing backflips and playing Lego Avengers on Steam. The help is much appreciated.
I don't think I will bother trying to sort out the iGPU problems with AMD when the Pcie card is doing the job just fine. Unless anyone thinks I need to?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Vega 8 graphics is about the level of a gt1030 in performance. He's happy so i'd say not to bother and let be.

If you want to figure out why some other time i'd try update bios to latest version. Motherboard's manual will explain the procedure. The bios file goes on a fat32 formatted usb stick (Bios wont read ntfs or through added folders) and then run update program within the bios.

Reactions: YeahNah