[SOLVED] Green Screening

May 27, 2020
So I recently got a RX 5700 XT Graphics card and whenever I edit a video or record/stream a game my computer freezes with a green screen and I have to reboot to get back to its normal state. Even when im watching a stream on twitch and I leave a lurk it tends to green screen and crash just sitting idle on the stream. Anything I can do to fix this problem ?
My specs
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU:RX 5700 XT
RAM:16 GB DDR4 2400 G.Skill FlareX Edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H (rev. 1.0)

Last edited:
Solution
It wouldn't define it for sure. The 580 does require less power than the 5700 XT when under load. I think if it were to behave with the RX 580, then you'd be stuck with the conclusion of "well, it's either the 5700 XT itself, or the PSU because the 5700 XT pulls a little more power."

If the RX580 misbehaves, then it could be the PSU. It's generally hard to determine the problem being one part by switching a different part. It's a frustrating problem, to be sure.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The BR is not one of EVGA's good models. Do you have another power supply you can try, or a known good one you can borrow from someone, to try out and see if that solves the problem.

Now, I can't say for certain if the PSU is the issue, but it's something to look into.

May 27, 2020
The BR is not one of EVGA's good models. Do you have another power supply you can try, or a known good one you can borrow from someone, to try out and see if that solves the problem.
Unfortunately I do not, I am curious why do you think it is my power supply is causing these green screens ? and if you are absolutely sure its my power supply what power supply would you recommend me switching to ?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm just generally suspicious of power supplies that are known to be poor quality. Sometimes they hold up, sometimes they fail, and sometimes they cause irregular power delivery, which can cause odd issues, particularly with newer/higher end video cards.

A couple of simple things that occur to me now. If it wasn't for the fact that your PC was freezing, I'd suggest that you have multiple inputs on your monitor, you can try plugging into another input. Or possibly using another output port on your video card. Possibly another monitor cable.

Still, that it not only gives you those symptoms, but also causes your PC to freeze, rather than just proceeding as if everything was normal (well, except for the green screen), makes me a little suspicious of the PSU.

May 27, 2020
I'm just generally suspicious of power supplies that are known to be poor quality. Sometimes they hold up, sometimes they fail, and sometimes they cause irregular power delivery, which can cause odd issues, particularly with newer/higher end video cards.

A couple of simple things that occur to me now. If it wasn't for the fact that your PC was freezing, I'd suggest that you have multiple inputs on your monitor, you can try plugging into another input. Or possibly using another output port on your video card. Possibly another monitor cable.

Still, that it not only gives you those symptoms, but also causes your PC to freeze, rather than just proceeding as if everything was normal (well, except for the green screen), makes me a little suspicious of the PSU.
oh ok thank you! but what kind of Power Supply would you recommend? I am planing to upgrade my cpu so I probably need more than 600w to do that.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not necessarily. I honestly think that even if you went to, say, a 3700X, a good 550W would cover you, though 650W would give you a little more headroom.

Take a look at the first link in my sig. The writeup for that is what I rely on to make PSU choices.

Keep in mind, though, that with the pandemic going on, prices are rather inflated for PSUs these days.

May 27, 2020
Not necessarily. I honestly think that even if you went to, say, a 3700X, a good 550W would cover you, though 650W would give you a little more headroom.

Take a look at the first link in my sig. The writeup for that is what I rely on to make PSU choices.

Keep in mind, though, that with the pandemic going on, prices are rather inflated for PSUs these days.
Sorry I know this is late but, If I switched out my gpu from my rx 5700 XT back to my rx 580 will this help confirm that my PSU is the issue here ?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It wouldn't define it for sure. The 580 does require less power than the 5700 XT when under load. I think if it were to behave with the RX 580, then you'd be stuck with the conclusion of "well, it's either the 5700 XT itself, or the PSU because the 5700 XT pulls a little more power."

If the RX580 misbehaves, then it could be the PSU. It's generally hard to determine the problem being one part by switching a different part. It's a frustrating problem, to be sure.

Solution