Question Greenish tint, thin horizontal lines on HP 23bw ISP monitor

May 5, 2019
Hello,

Last week I received as a gift this monitor by a friend who did not need it, and had had it in his basement for a year or so.

When I plugged it in, I found this defect, not so noticeable when playing video full screen, but a pain for the eye when writing or reading:

the rightmost vertical third of the monitor is perfect.

the leftmost vertical third has a faint greenish tone, like if it had a sheet of green plastic wrap over it. Besides, it looks like ruled paper, with VERY, very thin and very close (<1mm between them) dark horizontal lines.

The central third is kind of a transition area between the side ones.

I tried to connect the monitor to two different computers in every possible way, i.e. with VGA, DMI and HDMI cables, from both Windows 10 and Ubuntu. Doesn't matter, I always get the defect above, so it is certainly some internal defect of the monitor.

My question is: any idea of what this could it be, and if it is something that is possible/worth repairing?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Marco

May 5, 2019
It could be something as simple as a faulty cable--especially if it is VGA or DVI interface, or it could be cold solder joints in the monitor, itself.

Hello AllanGH,

I explicitly wrote that the problem is exactly the same with (at least) 3 different cables on 3 ports (VGA, HDMI and DVI). Besides, the friend who gave it to me remembers NO defects at all the last time he used this monitor, ~1 year ago. So whatever it is, it is inside the monitor, and if it is solder joints they got damaged later, not done cold in the factory, right? In any case, the question is if this is easily repairable at affordable prices (I cannot do it myself, for several reasons)

Cold solder joints are susceptible to popping loose at virtually any time. Usually, thermal expansion over time, does a good job of it, but just moving a monitor (or TV) in a vehicle will vibrate it enough to do the same thing.

I had the exact problem you are describing on one TV that we had in the back bedroom, and it submitted to some quality time with the soldering rework station. A second TV that we used for our security cameras showed weird scan line like irregularities dancing around the top of the screen, but only when it was cold. Once it warmed-up, it corrected itself--pretty-much a dead give away. In the latter case, I didn't have time to mess with it. I bought a new TV and wrapped the old one up in Mobile Wrap and put it in the garage. I'll either get around to it this Summer, or just get sick of moving it out of my way all the time and pitch it.

The repair is not difficult...more of an exercise in Zen than anything else...but it does require a nice flat area to open it up, and decent lighting to poke and prod. If you can't do the work yourself, I would hope that a shop would do it for you. How much they would charge is way beyond anything I can guess at.

May 5, 2019
If you can't do the work yourself, I would hope that a shop would do it for you. How much they would charge is way beyond anything I can guess at.

If (with the help of this forum! ) I can diagnose with confidence what the problem is, cold solder joints being the best candidate now, I can ask the closest shop for a quote myself even over the phone, saving precious time, so thanks for this, and to whoever else will contribute (I cannot bring this to the repair shop before Friday anyway, so there is no real hurry).