Greenwich Time - Just an FYI:was Confused about time

dallas

The significance of Greenwich Mean Time is important to end confusion and
use a standardized time... But that's its secondary use.

It's primary use is for navigation.

Longitude comes in 24 lines. Each line is one hour of the sun's travel.
Each hour is 15° of 360°. Zero degrees is in Greenwich.

No matter where in the world you are, if you measure high noon and look at a
GMT clock - that will tell you your Longitude.

Example: It's high noon where you are. GMT says 08:15:00. That's 8x15°=
Longitude: 120° 15 minutes and 0 seconds.

That's why it was so important to get a clock that worked accurately on a
pitching ship.

Dallas

crash

Dallas wrote:
> The significance of Greenwich Mean Time is important to end confusion

Damn Varmit, do you sleep??? d:->))

Bob

Dallas wrote:
> The significance of Greenwich Mean Time is important to end confusion and
> use a standardized time... But that's its secondary use.
>
> It's primary use is for navigation.
>
> Longitude comes in 24 lines. Each line is one hour of the sun's travel.
> Each hour is 15° of 360°. Zero degrees is in Greenwich.
>
> No matter where in the world you are, if you measure high noon and look at a
> GMT clock - that will tell you your Longitude.
>
> Example: It's high noon where you are. GMT says 08:15:00. That's 8x15°=
> Longitude: 120° 15 minutes and 0 seconds.
>
> That's why it was so important to get a clock that worked accurately on a
> pitching ship.
>
> Dallas

Filing that away in case I find myself some other place besides Texas.
Since its a days drive to any border around me, I'll probably stay. :)

Good description Dalli

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

dallas

"boB"
> Filing that away in case I find myself some other place besides Texas.

You can get another Boy Scout merit badge by mastering that skill.

Dallas

dallas

"boB"
> Filing that away in case I find myself some other place besides Texas.

We are total pussies with our GPS and VOR/DMEs.

In 1944 my father and his crew flew their B-24 bomber from Tonopah, NV to
southern Italy with nothing more than a sextant, stopwatch and something
resembling our ADF that they tuned to find public radio stations.

I was buddies with the navigator until he died last year. I loved his story
of flying from Trinidad to west Africa across the Atlantic at night with a
mostly cloud sky. Fuel running low, they sighted land and the airfield dead
ahead.

That's 2635 nm without being 1°off.

Dallas

Bob

Dallas wrote:
> "boB"
>
>>Filing that away in case I find myself some other place besides Texas.
>

> We are total pussies with our GPS and VOR/DMEs.
>

> That's 2635 nm without being 1°off.
>
> Dallas

Yea, that's back when we *had* to be good. :)
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

> Yea, that's back when we *had* to be good. :)

Yeah, in the navy we used to say as air navigators,
'I have never ever been lost; but I was uncertain of my positon for thee
days once!'

--
Cheers,

Quilly

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:31:40 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> The significance of Greenwich Mean Time is important to end confusion and
> use a standardized time... But that's its secondary use.
>
> It's primary use is for navigation.
>
> Longitude comes in 24 lines. Each line is one hour of the sun's travel.
> Each hour is 15° of 360°. Zero degrees is in Greenwich.
>
> No matter where in the world you are, if you measure high noon and look at a
> GMT clock - that will tell you your Longitude.
>
> Example: It's high noon where you are. GMT says 08:15:00. That's 8x15°=
> Longitude: 120° 15 minutes and 0 seconds.
>
> That's why it was so important to get a clock that worked accurately on a
> pitching ship.

Now ya'll know I'm gonna be putting that to the test some day.
As soon as it's high noon and I have some time.
If anything it'll be fun! A scientific test!

--

Marcel
(It's good to be the king! - Mel Brooks)

Hi Crash,

Only one eye at a time, I believe, but hey, I've been wrong before! :))

Regards,
John Ward

"John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi Crash,
>
> Only one eye at a time, I believe, but hey, I've been wrong before!
> :))

Really?!!? When?? ;0))

Iain

Hi Varmit,

".....what?"

I think he said "Hey, cut your snoring mate, or I'll have to clock ya
one - we're all trying to sleep here!" :))

Regards,
John Ward

> "CRaSH"
> > Damn Varmit, do you sleep??? d:->))
>
> ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........
>
> .....what?
>

> Varm

dallas

"Dallas"
> Longitude comes in 24 lines. Each line is one hour of the sun's travel.
> Each hour is 15° of 360°. Zero degrees is in Greenwich.

Let me correct myself before someone else does.... Longitude does not come
in 24 lines, it comes in 360°divided into 180°of east and 180°west... each
hour of the sun's travel is still 15° and the noon thing still works to get
your longitude... but if your total is over 180... subtract that number
from 360 and change the east designation to west.

Clear as mud, huh? :)

Dallas

Hi Varmit,

Brilliant!!

Are you sure your not Australian?? :))

You know, you really should be a published writer, or, at the very
least, a reviewer.

Your enquiring mind, and your ability to translate complex, sometimes
emotional, issues/thoughts/points/questions/technical facts into
thought-provoking words somehow makes me think of Carl Frisk and Bill
Leaming.

Not bad, for a Texan!! :))

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Regards,
John Ward

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:03:57 +1000, John Ward wrote:

> Brilliant!!
>
> Are you sure your not Australian?? :))

ROTFL!!!!

> You know, you really should be a published writer, or, at the very
> least, a reviewer.
>
> Your enquiring mind, and your ability to translate complex, sometimes
> emotional, issues/thoughts/points/questions/technical facts into
> thought-provoking words somehow makes me think of Carl Frisk and Bill
> Leaming.

I'll second that.
He's a lot smarter than he looks. :)
But seriously....he is very well-spoken and I think it's obvious he was a
member of his high school science club. Either that sience is just one of
his passions.

> Not bad, for a Texan!! :))
>
> Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Yes....not bad for a Southerner. ;-)

--

Marcel
(Gear up, AP engaged...hey...what's that emergency light?)

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message news:B3D2e.2356$x4.55@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> "Marcel Kuijper"
>> Yes....not bad for a Southerner. ;-)
>
> ...who was born in San Francisco.
>
> :)
>
> Dalliance

So when San Francisco passed the zoning law "No oil wells in your back yard!" you moved to Dallas?

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Hi Varmit,

Yeah, but your Dad was a one-off, even in those times - he must have
been!

I envy him, and admire him, greatly, for having achieved his goal of
being a P-51 Mustang instructor, after having flown Liberators, and
survived!

Regards,
John Ward

> "boB"
> > Filing that away in case I find myself some other place besides Texas.
>
> We are total pussies with our GPS and VOR/DMEs.
>
> In 1944 my father and his crew flew their B-24 bomber from Tonopah, NV to
> southern Italy with nothing more than a sextant, stopwatch and something
> resembling our ADF that they tuned to find public radio stations.
>
> I was buddies with the navigator until he died last year. I loved his
story
> of flying from Trinidad to west Africa across the Atlantic at night with a
> mostly cloud sky. Fuel running low, they sighted land and the airfield
dead
> ahead.
>
> That's 2635 nm without being 1°off.
>
> Dallas

dallas

"John Ward" <
> I envy him, and admire him, greatly

Yeah, me too... and his whole crew... the older I get the more I understand
the phase "The Greatest Generation"...

Dallas

dallas

"Marcel Kuijper"
> Now ya'll know I'm gonna be putting that to the test some day.
> If anything it'll be fun! A scientific test!

Ok... here's how you do it:
1) Take a flight to Vanua Levu, Fiji.
2) Rent a car and drive to the beach at the northeastern point of the
Island. (Longitude 180°)
3) As noon approaches make a Pina Colada.
4) Place a stick into the ground.
5) When the shadow of the stick points true south check your GMT clock, it
should say 12:00:00.

Send me a ticket, I'd be happy to come along as a technical advisor and
videographer.

<G>

Varmit

Hi Studmuffin,

<Snippety snip>

"He's a lot smarter than he looks. :)"

Well, everybody deserves at least one lucky break in life!! :))

I believe he was actually responsible for starting that Science Club,

"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:03:57 +1000, John Ward wrote:
>
> > Brilliant!!
> >
> > Are you sure your not Australian?? :))
>
> ROTFL!!!!
>

> > You know, you really should be a published writer, or, at the very
> > least, a reviewer.
> >
> > Your enquiring mind, and your ability to translate complex,
sometimes
> > emotional, issues/thoughts/points/questions/technical facts into
> > thought-provoking words somehow makes me think of Carl Frisk and Bill
> > Leaming.
>
> I'll second that.
> He's a lot smarter than he looks. :)
> But seriously....he is very well-spoken and I think it's obvious he was a
> member of his high school science club. Either that sience is just one of
> his passions.
>

> > Not bad, for a Texan!! :))
> >
> > Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
>
> Yes....not bad for a Southerner. ;-)
>
> --
>
> Marcel
> (Gear up, AP engaged...hey...what's that emergency light?)

Hi Varmit,

Well, that explains a lot of things!

Regards,
John Ward

> "Marcel Kuijper"
> > Yes....not bad for a Southerner. ;-)
>
> ...who was born in San Francisco.
>
> :)
>
> Dalliance

Hi Iain,

I can't remember, mate, just at the moment - maybe I need to upgrade my
memory, just like Marcel. :)

Regards,
John Ward