greetings to all here

returnoftheyeti@aol.com Wrote:
> not much you can do with it. It wont take a 40 gb drive, you cant put
> a different MB it it. Processor is not upgradeable. Any parts you
> find
> (even on ebay) will cost you more than the machine is worth. IF you
> really want to learn, go to newegg.com. You will be able to put
> togather a *new* machine for less that $300. It won't be state of the
> art, but it will work.
>
> Use the hd from the old HP, the cddrive from the IBM and buy yourself
> barebones kit.

thank you for the input . it's sad that i can't save it on the cheap -
i like that both sides of the tower come off for easy access to
whatever needs tinkered with .

just for asking sake , how do i find out what type of main board will
fit ?

--
The Ghost

hh

9200 series motherboards were very propietary. Forget about replacing it.
The poster who said the processor is not upgradeable needs to have the facts
before he/she speaks. It certanly is upgradeable from a P120 to a P200,
non-MMX. Going to a 166-200MHz processor for less than $5 and upping the
memory by 32MB or more for $10-15 would be a worthwhile expenditure on the
9232. Any more would be throwing your money away, however.
HH

"The Ghost" <The.Ghost.1l817p@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message

> returnoftheyeti@aol.com Wrote:
>> not much you can do with it. It wont take a 40 gb drive, you cant put
>> a different MB it it. Processor is not upgradeable. Any parts you
>> find
>> (even on ebay) will cost you more than the machine is worth. IF you
>> really want to learn, go to newegg.com. You will be able to put
>> togather a *new* machine for less that $300. It won't be state of the
>> art, but it will work.
>>
>> Use the hd from the old HP, the cddrive from the IBM and buy yourself
>> barebones kit.
>
> thank you for the input . it's sad that i can't save it on the cheap -
> i like that both sides of the tower come off for easy access to
> whatever needs tinkered with .
>
> just for asking sake , how do i find out what type of main board will
> fit ?
>

> --
> The Ghost

Given the age of the computer (January 1996), my best guess is that a generic
board will not fit in the chassis. Back in the Pentium 1 era, Compaq made just
about every model quite proprietary.

Either spend a few nickels and dimes on memory, a faster CPU and a large hard
drive (say no more than $30??), or give up on it. You're better off with
something newer, faster and far less proprietary. With new Dell Dimension 3000
computers on sale regularly for $399, and other manufacturers competing on
price, even a newer used system (say a corporate removal?) does not command a
lot of bucks. If you are in the vicinity of Harvard, MA, off I-495 outside
Boston, I can fix you up with a reconditioned name-brand (Compaq, IBM, Dell)
system with warranty and legal copy of operating system loaded up for pretty
small change. If you are further away, cost of shipping becomes a factor and
the warranty becomes less valuable.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:17:26 +0000, The Ghost