Question Grey Screen After Boot

m367j988

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
After boot up and PC goes through BIOS I am left with a grey screen and a spinning wheel of five white dots.
Tried letting it sit for 10 minutes and no avail.

Power cycled computer off and on to start repair diagnostic, but Windows was unable to repair (can't remember exact verbage)

Attempted to boot into safe mode, left with a solid black screen.

Thinking to the last time it worked all I can recall changing was updating Nvidia driver to whatever came out on 7/19/2021 because games kept crashing. When I got to the computer this morning it was still on (not in sleep mode like it should have gone into) woke up the monitor and it was grey screened.

My gut feel is something with the GPU driver didn't install correctly or caused an incompatibility. Any help on this would be appreciated I am completely lost on how to fix this and can't seem to access anything in the PC.

Hardware:
MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 3600 (no dedicated graphics)
16GB Corsair Vengeance
Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe SSD
EVGA 700W Gold PSU
...Nvidia GTX 660

you can create a bootable USB Windows installer package.
it should offer startup repair and other options similar to Windows Recovery.
hopefully you could just revert to an earlier Restore Point.

you can also try entering Windows Boot Manager by spamming F8 during post.
from here you can attempt Safe Mode and see if you can access repair options within Windows.

if the OS & recovery files are corrupted somehow
you may need to perform a fresh install.

m367j988

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
you can create a bootable USB Windows installer package.
it should offer startup repair and other options similar to Windows Recovery.
hopefully you could just revert to an earlier Restore Point.

you can also try entering Windows Boot Manager by spamming F8 during post.
from here you can attempt Safe Mode and see if you can access repair options within Windows.

if the OS & recovery files are corrupted somehow
you may need to perform a fresh install.
I tried windows recovery but Windows was unable to repair and restore it couldn't find a restore point to go back to.

I tried safe mode through windows boot manager and was left with the black screen.

I do have my Windows 10 install USB I bought I can try and from to do a fresh install.
Several of the sites I read about grey screen pointed it back to a hardware/driver incompatibility.

TRENDING THREADS