Question Grey screen caused by switching from CSM to UEFI?

DrBottleneck

Honorable
Oct 20, 2016
Hi there,

Yesterday I formatted my secondary HDD and changed it from MBR to GPT (This is not my OS drive and it has just been used for storage).
I've been running UEFI + Legacy (CSM) until now since my MBR drive wasn't detected otherwise. In msinfo32 it says that windows is installed as UEFI and therefore I wanted to change to UEFI only.

After changing it I had no problems with booting or anything else. However later in the evening when I was gaming, I got a grey screen with some small blue squares in the right side of the screen (sound was still working) and I had to do a hard reset.
I tried going into the game again after restarting and to my surprise the screen turned grey again after about 15 min of gaming, with my pc being unresponsive again.

So now I'm wondering if changing from CSM to UEFI could be causing some problems with the GPU or the drivers for it?

The second time it turned grey, it went back to windows desktop after a little while and showed a warning from AMD Radeon Software saying that it had detected my graphics drivers not running properly or something like that.

I'm running Windows 11 and all of my other drives are running GPT.

DrBottleneck

Honorable
Oct 20, 2016
I have the following specs.

SSD 1: Kingston KC2000
SSD 2: WD SN750
2x HDD: WD Black 1002FAEX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 gb
PSU: Corsair CX650M
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Powercolor FE)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37)

I thought I had the latest bios version (V1.G3) but it seems that MSI released a version called (V1.G) about a month later. Might have been a beta version I had installed.

Not sure if it'll fix it but I'll try to update bios to see if it does.

TRENDING THREADS