Question Grey screen on startup

Oct 1, 2021
Hey!

Today I booted up my PC like normal and I had this weird Grey screen almost like a cloud on the windows login screen. I logged in with no display, unplugged the monitor
and used my 2nd monitor to load up some basic stuff. After plugging my grey monitor back in, it started showing long vertical green/grey lines and it was very clear that something was wrong.
I tried using a HDMI cable instead of my normal display port & found that the monitor FLICKERS when I use HDMI. The HDMI cable works perfectly fine on my 2nd monitor VG245H (75hz).
After 10 minutes or so , the lines seemed to have disappeared (at this point, I'd made sure the display port cable was fully plugged in, changed the port on the gpu and back). My nvidia game ready
driver was updated 5 days ago for version 496.13.

*I recently overclocked my GPU using MSI Afterburner, which crashed Fifa 22 with the error "directx function getdeviceremovedreason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung" (seems to be an EA problem..)
The overclock worked fine with temps and with other games like minecraft and call of duty and I booted up my PC more than 5 times perfectly fine in the last couple of days.

GPU: 1060 6gb MSI AERO ITX

Should I reinstall my drivers or should I wait to see if it happens again and maybe buy a new cable? It could've been a problem with dust, I'm honestly not too sure as It has worked perfectly fine for the last 2 years

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (2 years?), condition? Heavy gaming use?

Wait to see if the problem happens again.

However, do be sure to back up all important data at least 2 x to different locations. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Hopefully you have been doing so all along anyway.

= = = =

As for dust:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

They do wiggle loose over time and can cause intermittent problems.

Oct 1, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (2 years?), condition? Heavy gaming use?

Wait to see if the problem happens again.

However, do be sure to back up all important data at least 2 x to different locations. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Hopefully you have been doing so all along anyway.

= = = =

As for dust:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

They do wiggle loose over time and can cause intermittent problems.
b450 ds3h
PSU: corsair 650 txm (1 week old)
1060 6gb msi aero itx
ryzen 2600x oc 4.2ghz
2x8 gb corsair 3000mhz ram

ill wait and see if it happens again