Grey screen with narrow active bar in B&W at top, after waking from sleep for a while.

Mar 3, 2018
Begining a day ago for no apparent reason, I now see the following when I wake my screen from sleep (everything else is set never to sleep):
QCbdBau.jpg

I hear notifications (much delayed) and the mouse moves occasionally within the thin active bar at the top of my LG 29UM69G-B 29" display. But I cannot seem to even get a blindly typed series of actions to restart my i5 8400 using the iGPU only (I'm still waiting for an affordable mid-range discrete GPU) with the latest Intel driver (installed well before this issue arose). The keyboard will wake the screen, however.

I have no idea what has caused this, and would very much appreciate some advice on what to try :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its an odd line, especially since bottom shows signs of indentations

Run an anti virus scan and malwarescan

what are rest of specs of the PC?

Try doing a clean boot and see if same thing happens after sleep - read instructions carefully and make sure not to close all MS services or PC won't boot correctly - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if it fixes it, its possible it is caused by a startup program, need to re add them slowly to find what is causing it. Then we can work out why.

Mar 3, 2018
Gigabyte Z370M-D3H-rev-10 motherboard
FSP 600W PSU
Intel NVME 600p boot SSD
Intel SATA 545s SSD
Seagate Firecuda SATA SSHD
Generic cheap SATA Optical drive

And that's everything currently installed inside the M-ATX sized case.

I've tried a reboot, but not a safe one as I'm intensively using the machine today. I'll try that when I next sleep.

I'm running an advanced AV scan right now with Defender. But it's own scans reported nothing a day beforehand, anyway, so that seems extremely unlikely. Especially as I don't engage in risky behaviour.

I'm a fairly competent user, but I have mainly used Mac and Linux machines the past couple decades. This is my first primary work machine running Windows since XP. So I'm out of touch with Windows troubleshooting.