Grey Trailing On Monitor On Certain Games

pixelcrewgamerz

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
Hello! I got a new monitor about 2 months ago, Im nearly 100% sure that this is it https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3mbkcf/lg-34um59-b-340-2560x1080-75hz-monitor-34um59-b (LG - 34UM59-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75Hz Monitor) and I am just now noticing an issue when I start playing different games. Pretty much I see a grey trail on certain objects in-game, but this doesn't happen in every game (or maybe I am just not noticing it but I think its unlikely). The three games that I am playing that I notice this in are Rust, Minecraft, and Team Fortress 2, but when I hop into Rainbow Six Siege the effect is totally gone. I wish there was a way I could show a screenshot but I think it's on the monitor itself so I don't think I can. Just try and picture it like this, you have a square on a wall, you move the mouse and the square moves on the wall too, but for like half a second there is a grey trail of sorts, kinda like when a window crashed but you could drag other windows over it and it would create a bunch of the new window in the place, or like when you win solitare and the cards fly off leaving the model still behind, but its not colored instead its just grey. Sorry if I didn't explain it very well but I hope that's enough to understand whats going on. Thanks in advance for the help!

Edit: The effect doesn't happen when I watch a video only when I am fullscreen in a game

SCGAZELLE

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
It's called ghosting. If you are using FreeSync, try adjusting the AMA settings in the monitor's menu. Sometimes a manufacturer will release a firmware update that could potentially fix it but LG probably hasn't. Another problem could be a poorly shielded cable so you could try replacing it. Other fixes are reducing contrast to hide it, testing other refresh rates.

pixelcrewgamerz

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018

Ok I figured out how to reply to people, I now realize that the problem on happens after I have been using the monitor for a few hours. Also I don't know how to adjust my ama settings