Question Greyed out "thumbnails", unresponsive wifi and ethernet, but 100% uptime?

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I have 300Mbps Wow! home service. I usually get that or more.

So in the last couple weeks I've had these multiple related issues that have popped up out of nowhere... such as I'll be using the wifi on my phone and a webpage will stop responding or give me a message like it's "having trouble loading". I'd switch to LTE and everything would be fine. I then switch back to wifi immediately and the issue is gone completely. Everything is fine. Just today I was on a website that had video thumbnails and half of them had a message on the window that said thumbnail not available. A few minutes later, they begin appearing and all is fine again.

At the same time I'm also have problems with the youtube app on my apple tv (wired via ethernet) in the last couple weeks where "sometimes" the thumbnails will be greyed out. I can scroll across them and they will either stay grey or they might show the short preview video. The other issue is that when I go to use the app, as it starts it will say "no network connection". I'm able to open other apps and even do a speedtest on the apple tv, which shows a fast solid connection, but the youtube app can't connect. A short time later it will be fine.

I installed a internet monitor on my pc and it has showed a solid, fast connection with latency hovering around 40 for the last few weeks.
I installed a different router and the same issues continue to pop up.

I read somewhere that while my download signal could be perfectly fine, a low upload signal to noise ratio could cause these issues? True?

You can check the levels in the modem and see what both the download and upload numbers are. The exact value depends on the type of docsis they are using. You will easily find the tables of recommending numbers.

If these are out of the recommended range you can get data loss and connection drops. The log messages might also show something interesting.

BUT this will affect your pc, which I assume you are using ethernet rather than wifi also. What you have to try to figure out is what is different between the pc and the devices having issues.

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
You can check the levels in the modem and see what both the download and upload numbers are. The exact value depends on the type of docsis they are using. You will easily find the tables of recommending numbers.

If these are out of the recommended range you can get data loss and connection drops. The log messages might also show something interesting.

BUT this will affect your pc, which I assume you are using ethernet rather than wifi also. What you have to try to figure out is what is different between the pc and the devices having issues.

The upload and download speeds are fine. and my internet isn't "dropping", because while I'm having these issues, I can still access other apps and the internet. And my internet monitor shows 100% uptime. No drops. That's what is so confusing.
I will be looking at greyed out thumbnails on YouTube (on Apple TV) but I can can play the actual videos fine, and I can go over to Netflix etc and start a movie. The greyed out thumbnails also happened on another video website on my phone.

If this was a pc it would be easier.

2 common causes of this are DNS issues and IPv6. On a pc you would manually set the dns to say 1.1.1.1 and turn off IPv6 in the settings. On devices like phones etc it is much harder to do this.

What you might try is see if you can change the DHCP settings so the router gives the end device 1.1.1.1 rather than its own IP for DNS. You can also try to disable IPv6 in the router.

It maybe something else those 2 are just very common causes of some things working and other not.

costanza

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
If this was a pc it would be easier.

2 common causes of this are DNS issues and IPv6. On a pc you would manually set the dns to say 1.1.1.1 and turn off IPv6 in the settings. On devices like phones etc it is much harder to do this.

What you might try is see if you can change the DHCP settings so the router gives the end device 1.1.1.1 rather than its own IP for DNS. You can also try to disable IPv6 in the router.

It maybe something else those 2 are just very common causes of some things working and other not.

Thanks. It's just weird this started happening all of the sudden after years of no issues with all the same equipment.