GRID No More: Nvidia Launches 'GeForce Now' Streaming Service, Updates Shield Android TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
They really believe I'm going to pay $8 / mo for the privilege of buying streamable games at a premium price? No thanks!

Also, is there engineering really so much worse than OnLive!'s that they require four to forty times more bandwidth for what appears to be comparable quality? Wow.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
They really believe I'm going to pay $8 / mo for the privilege of buying streamable games at a premium price? No thanks!

Also, is there engineering really so much worse than OnLive!'s that they require four to forty times more bandwidth for what appears to be comparable quality? Wow.

I think you missed the point that it is more of a Netflix type deal (games will be added and removed as time goes on) and these games you will NOT own. Per the edit, the purchasable games are not part of the streaming service.

To your second point, OnLive! failed. While I am sure it wasn't just because of bandwidth restraints, it probably played a part. I do wonder how the quality and latency differed from GeForce Now, as I never used OnLive. I do know, that GRID was pretty good from where I played (30 down, 5 up, East Coast).

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
Could OnLive do 720p @ 60Hz with a 5 Mbps down pipe? In my own experience, sort of. In some games it would have been OK but for others the random macroblocking kind of ruined the experience. The stream was highly compressed. OnLive also did not do much in the way of multiplayer games. I think even OnLive recommended 8 Mbps or more if you could swing it. Clearly, the fatter the pipe, the better the experience.

I think Nvidia saying you want at least 12 Mbps is actually reasonable if they are providing a more consistent, high-quality experience. Maybe they do not compress as much because they learned from OnLive's mistakes.

realnoize

Honorable
Jan 5, 2015
This is what I call "fair" pricing. Sony charges the insane amount of $20 per month ($15 if you buy 3 months) to play last generation's PS3 games through its PS Now service. Nvidia's pricing is quite an attractive one compared to that.

BrutalAttis

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Whereas I quite like movie streaming for movies/tv when I am okay with non-blu ray quality, I totally abhor the idea of taking gaming in this direction. I truly hope this fails and the masses don’t go for it. I dislike Apple, Sony, MS, FB, Google, Abobe (PS) for similar tactics in that control moves away from the end user. “The Cloud” to some extent makes me scratch my head as to why people/other companies are so eager to give up their privacy and control (worse in this case as people will pay them to do it). I don’t want to lease my games, applications or OS. I don’t want my person life or data in the cloud where these companies do with it what they please, or the data is subject to hacking. The average person does not seem to grasp what they are giving up. When the majority is fine with this (pay for it, creating a market for it), the rest of us either have to capitulate or stay out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS