Grim Fandango

Anyone else think this would be a perfect game for a $19.99 XBox port?

Jonah Falcon

I'd love to see more of the old Lucasarts adventures come back for the new
consoles, Sam and Max for one.

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Anyone else think this would be a perfect game for a $19.99 XBox port?
>
> Jonah Falcon

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Anyone else think this would be a perfect game for a $19.99 XBox port?

The console market is big enough. Grim Fandango did well on the PC, so it
would seem a sure hit on the Xbox for $19.99.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Anyone else think this would be a perfect game for a $19.99 XBox port?

I think a Grim Fandango sequel would be good, just not the original as I
have played that ;-)

"Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone else think this would be a perfect game for a $19.99 XBox port?
>>

> I think a Grim Fandango sequel would be good, just not the original as I
> have played that ;-)

I wouldn't like a sequel -- just a remake.

Jonah Falcon

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:44:38 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
<jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Anyone else think this would be a perfect game for a $19.99 XBox port?
>
>Jonah Falcon

I wonder how well it would sell considering you can buy the PC version
for $14.95 directly from Lucusarts. What would make more sense would
be a classic adventure pack with 2 or 3 games on one disk, but it's
unlikely Lucusarts would do that since they're still selling some of
their classic adventure games. Plus realistically I doubt any fincial
model you can come up with would give enough of a return on investment
to make a port worth the effort.

>The console market is big enough. Grim Fandango did well on the PC, so it
>would seem a sure hit on the Xbox for $19.99.

How about this idea? Play it on the PC, since it's a PC game.
Why would they have any reason to port a 2D adventure to a console?

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

> Why would they have any reason to port a 2D adventure to a console?

Not to mention the game is seven-years-old. But what do expect from Jonah, a
worth while idea?

<Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com> wrote in message

> How about this idea? Play it on the PC, since it's a PC game.
> Why would they have any reason to port a 2D adventure to a console?

Given how low-end of a machine you would need to play Grim Fandango and how
a large percentage of households have a PC now, this is a valid point of
view.

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
>
>> Why would they have any reason to port a 2D adventure to a console?
>
> Not to mention the game is seven-years-old. But what do expect from Jonah,
> a worth while idea?

How about -- more people own consoles than computers.

How about -- for some reason, my Grim Fandango won't run on my good machine
anymore. It's Master of Magic Disease (old games no longer running on state
of the art CPUs)

In fact, I'd love to see a $29.99 LucasArts Adventure Bundle -- on one disc,
you have Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Sam and Max and Grim Fandango.

Jonah Falcon

Jonah Falcon wrote:

> How about -- more people own consoles than computers.
>
> How about -- for some reason, my Grim Fandango won't run on my good
> machine anymore. It's Master of Magic Disease (old games no longer
> running on state of the art CPUs)
>
> In fact, I'd love to see a $29.99 LucasArts Adventure Bundle -- on
> one disc, you have Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Sam and Max
> and Grim Fandango.

When was the last time a seven-year-old PC game with average sales ported to
a console? It may
be nice, but it won't happen any time soon. You have better luck waiting for
a sequel and
hope they include the first game as a bonus.

"Imperium" <frankmelo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:44:38 GMT, "Jonah Falcon"
> <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyone else think this would be a perfect game for a $19.99 XBox port?
>>
>>Jonah Falcon
>

> I wonder how well it would sell considering you can buy the PC version
> for $14.95 directly from Lucusarts. What would make more sense would
> be a classic adventure pack with 2 or 3 games on one disk, but it's
> unlikely Lucusarts would do that since they're still selling some of
> their classic adventure games. Plus realistically I doubt any fincial
> model you can come up with would give enough of a return on investment
> to make a port worth the effort.

How about -- millions of people own an XBox, and Grim Fandango was released
7 years ago.

If people are going to buy a disc with 80 Atari 2600 games....

Jonah Falcon

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

>> I wonder how well it would sell considering you can buy the PC version
>> for $14.95 directly from Lucusarts. What would make more sense would
>> be a classic adventure pack with 2 or 3 games on one disk, but it's
>> unlikely Lucusarts would do that since they're still selling some of
>> their classic adventure games. Plus realistically I doubt any fincial
>> model you can come up with would give enough of a return on investment
>> to make a port worth the effort.
>
> How about -- millions of people own an XBox, and Grim Fandango was
> released 7 years ago.
>
> If people are going to buy a disc with 80 Atari 2600 games....

If developers released every old game from PC's then they would never
progress to new stuff.

"Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com" <> wrote in

>>The console market is big enough. Grim Fandango did well on the PC,
>>so it would seem a sure hit on the Xbox for $19.99.
>

> How about this idea? Play it on the PC, since it's a PC game.
> Why would they have any reason to port a 2D adventure to a console?

Good point, although Grim Fandango was not a 2D adventure - it was 3D.

toad.

wjm

> "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
>>
>>> Why would they have any reason to port a 2D adventure to a console?
>>
>> Not to mention the game is seven-years-old. But what do expect from
>> Jonah, a worth while idea?
>
> How about -- more people own consoles than computers.

More people own consoles than own computers?

"Toad-Man" <toad@toadhall.com> wrote in message
> "Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com" <> wrote in
>

>>>The console market is big enough. Grim Fandango did well on the PC,
>>>so it would seem a sure hit on the Xbox for $19.99.
>>

>> How about this idea? Play it on the PC, since it's a PC game.
>> Why would they have any reason to port a 2D adventure to a console?
>
> Good point, although Grim Fandango was not a 2D adventure - it was 3D.

Only 3D Grim Fandango had was their characters, items and certain vehicles.
The background was all 2D.

Tommy

WJM wrote:
> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Not to mention the game is seven-years-old. But what do expect from
>>>Jonah, a worth while idea?
>>
>>How about -- more people own consoles than computers.
>>

> More people own consoles than own computers?

That surely does not sound true. I would probably believe that more
gamers (people who play a video game at least one hour per week) play on
consoles than computers.