[SOLVED] Grinding noise coming from PC but only when gaming ?

Feb 10, 2021
Hello guys. About two months ago I set up my Gaming PC, the specs are listed below:
  • 1x Phanteks Eclipse P360A Tempered Glass DRGB - Mid-Tower Case - Black
  • 1x Gigabyte B550M DS3H
  • 1x AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with Wraith Stealth Cooler
  • 2x HyperX 8GB Fury DDR4 3200MHz 1Rx8 Non-ECC CL16
  • 1x Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Eagle OC 8GB
  • 1x Corsair CV Series CV650 650W Bronze Rated Power Supply
  • 1x Samsung 250GB SSD 860 Evo Series 2.5 SATA III
  • 1x Western Digital 1TB Blue SATA III
  • 1x Arctic Cooling Cooling P12 Silent Pressure Optimised Fan
Everything was fine until I noticed a grinding noise which only occurs when gaming, the noise sounds as if a cable is in the way of the fan. I searched in the forums and did what was instructed to people before me. I cleaned my PC completely using compressed air, I checked if there were interfering cables and even messed around with the fan curve. Firstly, I've no earthly way of locating the sound, it is 100% not the GPU as it stays off during most of my gaming (It's light gaming so fans stay at 0%). I think it may be the CPU Cooler but I really don't know. I found a response saying I should oil my fans but the PC is almost brand new and I don't think fan bearings are the cause. What should I do? How can I identify the source? What is an easier fix that I am not seeing? Any response would be helpful.

Solution
Hey there,

The Earthly way to find out, is to take off the sidepanel of the case and start up a game, and literally stick your head close to it looking and listening :) You should be able to narrow down what component it is. It's likely a case fan as you've suggested already. It could also be the PSU fans

I wouldn't go oiling any internal fans.

Let us know if you narrow it down to one part.
Hey there,

The Earthly way to find out, is to take off the sidepanel of the case and start up a game, and literally stick your head close to it looking and listening :) You should be able to narrow down what component it is. It's likely a case fan as you've suggested already. It could also be the PSU fans

I wouldn't go oiling any internal fans.

Let us know if you narrow it down to one part.

Solution