Question Grinding noise coming from PC but only when gaming ?

Feb 10, 2021
Hello guys. About two months ago I set up my Gaming PC, the specs are listed below:
  • 1x Phanteks Eclipse P360A Tempered Glass DRGB - Mid-Tower Case - Black
  • 1x Gigabyte B550M DS3H
  • 1x AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with Wraith Stealth Cooler
  • 2x HyperX 8GB Fury DDR4 3200MHz 1Rx8 Non-ECC CL16
  • 1x Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Eagle OC 8GB
  • 1x Corsair CV Series CV650 650W Bronze Rated Power Supply
  • 1x Samsung 250GB SSD 860 Evo Series 2.5 SATA III
  • 1x Western Digital 1TB Blue SATA III
  • 1x Arctic Cooling Cooling P12 Silent Pressure Optimised Fan
Everything was fine until I noticed a grinding noise which only occurs when gaming, the noise sounds as if a cable is in the way of the fan. I searched in the forums and did what was instructed to people before me. I cleaned my PC completely using compressed air, I checked if there were interfering cables and even messed around with the fan curve. Firstly, I've no earthly way of locating the sound, it is 100% not the GPU as it stays off during most of my gaming (It's light gaming so fans stay at 0%). I think it may be the CPU Cooler but I really don't know. I found a response saying I should oil my fans but the PC is almost brand new and I don't think fan bearings are the cause. What should I do? How can I identify the source? What is an easier fix that I am not seeing? Any response would be helpful.

Hey there,

The Earthly way to find out, is to take off the sidepanel of the case and start up a game, and literally stick your head close to it looking and listening :) You should be able to narrow down what component it is. It's likely a case fan as you've suggested already. It could also be the PSU fans

I wouldn't go oiling any internal fans.

Let us know if you narrow it down to one part.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS