Grinding noise! HDD or something else?

Panchev

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I've read similar questions, but I'm not sure answers to them apply to my problem.

I'm pretty sure that the disk is making grinding noise (for about a second) after which my computer freezes. Then it started doing it on boot.

I've plugged it into another computer - no grinding. I've formatted it, plugged it back in to install win - same grinding again - and it's empty!

Oh, and another thing, it wasn't "grinding" on another computer, I was able to read it, transfer all of my data. It did have some errors (HDTune, CrystalMark, Sentinel) - Reallocated Sector Count still has 2, health is about 80%.

Could it be PSU, motherboard, cables?

Solution

My money is on teh PSu...
What is the "current pending sector count" parameter?
Also, does the computer make said noise without the HDD in? If so, try stopping for a short time(2sec) all the fans inside one by one wiht your hand(be careful!) and use a pen for teh PSU one to determine which one is making the noise.

Panchev

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I'm pretty sure it comes from the HDD (abovementioned sophisticated method of sticking my head in the PC), but I'm not exactly sure why it doesn't happen on an another PC.Everything pointed to HDD, PC was slow, active partition speed was 2MB/s!?! It is about 50 MB/s after format (is empty).

Also, it's formatted and I've booted USB to install Win7 - prior to booting, it makes the same noise again - although I'm not booting from HDD.

* Cuurent Pending Sector count is - Value: 100, Worst: 100, Status: OK (Always Passing). PSU is Codegen (pretty old), and it only lasts for a second. When it did happen in Windows, that is when the computer froze and restart was needed. One more erason I think it's the HDD.

My money is on teh PSu along with it's fan failing. Use a pen to stop it's fan and see if the noise stops.

Solution