Ground loop / 60 hz buzzing noise and clicks.

Jul 8, 2018
So i was playing with some of my friends and talking with them through discord. Everything worked like it used to and there were no problems. Until i noticed that my friends could not hear me. so i put the mic closer to my mouth so they could hear me. they did, but my voice sounded like a robot. i checked the sound settings and my mic settings where i discovered that the sound bar was all the way to the top on my mic. I made so I could hear the mic at all times and thats when I discovered that i got a ground loop. 60 hz buzzing and some clicking every now and then. I've figured out that it has something to do with the computer and not the mic or headset it selves since i tested the headset with my phone and it worked perfectly. the buzzing noice comes from the mic however whenever i plug it in my pc, regardless if its connected via the 3mm jack or the Hyper x usb dongle through the front pannel on my pc or the usb on the back directly to the motherboard. Does anyone have any idea how this occurred and how to fix it? im guessing something with the motherboard but i dont get it how it would happen just like that from out of nowhere. and no i don't know much about grounding or anything about that at all.
I would highly appreciate if someone could figure this out. Thank you for your time!

Solution
if you suspect a ground option for those check the outlet and also see if the is not a cable side conncotr that touch the case or a broken one that could be stuck between case and side panel and see if it is only on usb or the 3.5 mm coonector .
Jul 8, 2018

i dont think it has to do with discord or any gamesettings. i checked the windows audio settings where my mic where going crazy. i turned on "listen to this device" (on my microphone) thats when i can hear the 60hz constant Buzz.
just to clear things up. at first Everything was fine and they could hear me as normal. but then after some time the 60hz Buzz came out of nowhere. I couldn't hear it since i cant hear my own recordings through discord and since discord cuts out any constant sound, my friends couldnt hear the noise until i started talking. thats when they noticed it. and the Buzz overpowered my voice so i sounded like a robot. Im 99% sure it has something to do with the grounding or/and hardware and not on the softwere side, though i might be wrong. the question is how and why it happened out of nowhere. but thanks for your response!

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
if you suspect a ground option for those check the outlet and also see if the is not a cable side conncotr that touch the case or a broken one that could be stuck between case and side panel and see if it is only on usb or the 3.5 mm coonector .

Solution
Jul 8, 2018
i suspected that it was the outlet, but i tried making sure that the Cables didnt touch the case or at least not the unused ones (i have a nonmodular psu). and guess what. It fixed it. i guess a Cable happened to been shaken out of Place when i moved my pc or something. anyway, Thank you for requesting that! thank you so much!