tangle

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Trying to resolve an arguament

mobos are grounded through the black PSU wire. but are they also grounded through the standoffs, silvered pads and screws?

cj

RichPLS

Champion
Yes, I think so. But I really don't see why should be nesecary, since the power ground wire should suffice.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
They could be, but they don't have to be. Most cases come with little red washers and some builds have them installed, which insulates the case from the mobo. Should work fine either way.

Mike.

tangle

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
this is why we're having the argument. why silver the holes that take the screws if they are not electrical contacts? and if they are why give out insulating washers?

cj

endyen

Splendid
You are talking a lot of s.o.p.s here.
Along time ago, one of the rear screwholes was "tinned" to give a 0v or neutral point. The negative voltage was negative with reference to ground, the positive was positive with respect to ground. You could have 24 volts between the 2 or 12 volts to one or the other.
Some bright boy noticed that the tinned holes crushed less often than the non-tinned holes, so people started tinning all the holes to make thier product more solid.
Cheap mobo makers put traces too close to some of the holes, so a large head screw could damage them. Another bright boy decided that he would invent fibre washers to save those boards.
As for me, I never use the fibre washers, too lazy, but the excuse I use is that the tinned points do a good job of conducting heat from the board to the case, which, to a small degree, is quite true. Every little bit helps.
By the way, does your friend use a fibre washer on bothe sides of the board? If not, he isn't isolating anything, and is wasting his time. (unless of course, he is using crappy mobos and large screws.)

tangle

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004
Thanks, I had a good look at a spare elite group mobo and couldn't see any traces connecting to the silvered rings either top or bottom. also noticed that the rings are pinned through the board quite firmly and look to me like they could serve as stregnthening points to prevent overtightening of screws cracking the board. But he countered with this:

I've got sitting in front of myself...a spare motherboard used for one of the games at work: DFI CA64-TC

This board makes full use of the motherboard stand-off's as a SECONDARY ground path. On the side of the board near the rear edge? All the sheilding for the ports are soldered to the board, and that trace goes right to the silver ringed mounting holes. Same with the audio ports and usb ports. This is going to of course be different for each manufactor. But it's used from the looks of it, as a secondary ground path for FIELD GROUND/CHASSIS GROUND!

obfuscation abounds

cj

G

It can work both ways. I've worked on several computers for friends of mine that have plastic stand-offs that poke through the mobo, therefore not grounding at all to the case. Them things are a real pain if you ever want to take the mobo out.

Waspy

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2005
Ahh, good thing to know. Now I don't have to worry about the motherboard I just switched cases on. Only have 2/3s the standoffs for the case, the rest are at college or non-existant. I'll just spread the gaps around to non-important-looking places. ;)