[SOLVED] Ground Wire Burnt Up

Jun 10, 2021
Very Long time reader, first-time poster. Came here first as generally solid advice is given here. I have a fairly custom rig, Specs Below:

My ground wire burnt out and some errors are being thrown up now by the OS (Ubuntu) the computer shut itself down finally, I can get it back up, but occasionally a graphics card falls off line etc. I am concerned I have a short somewhere (lots of custom LED, fans etc.) but am hoping to save some time posting here. The burnt wire is pin number 3 on the ATX Power connector which is listed as common or ground. Hoping someone with some deep insight can save me some time on this one. I figure if I just replace the cable it will happen again.

Any insight would be appreciated.

ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha TRX40 Gaming AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper sTRX4 EATX Motherboard with 16 Infineon Power Stages, PCIe 4.0, Wi-Fi 6
4 X Nvidia RTX 3090 OC Edition -- ASUS ROG
256GB RAM - GSKILL DDR 4000
SSD = WD_BLACK 2TB SN850 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe
Using (2) EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 80+ GOLD, 1600W Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 10 Year Warranty Power Supply 120-G2-1600-X1
One connected to the Motherboard and each connected to a large UPS to get clean and consistent power.
Custom liquid cooling with 2 @ 4 FAN Blocks for cards, and another single Fan block just for CPU.
At full load and sustained load the CPU and graphics cards run WAY under cool down temp specs.

Last edited:
Solution
One way to check to see if anything is amiss with the PSU is to check the resistance of that wire to the frame of the PSU and it should be near zero. If it isn't near zero I think you might have a PSU problem.
If it's near zero I would focus more on a motherboard problem.
I would also inspect the motherboard standoffs for anything odd.
I would also check all the pins and the socket of the 24 pin connector for anything odd.
I would also check the outlet for proper ground and make sure the case is on the same ground.
One way to check to see if anything is amiss with the PSU is to check the resistance of that wire to the frame of the PSU and it should be near zero. If it isn't near zero I think you might have a PSU problem.
If it's near zero I would focus more on a motherboard problem.
I would also inspect the motherboard standoffs for anything odd.
I would also check all the pins and the socket of the 24 pin connector for anything odd.
I would also check the outlet for proper ground and make sure the case is on the same ground.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS