[SOLVED] Ground yourself before building?

ahmd3500

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
So I'm starting to upgrade my pc and now I've heard of something very weird
"Ground yourself not to fry your components"

Basically how I did my last build (current one) and it has been operating so far for over 7 months without any issues, is i'd put my mobo on the box it came with after getting it out from the anti static bag, put ram / cpu / cpu cooler in it, then apply all of them in the case (usually using my bed as a table ) and continue the rest of the build while the case is turned over to make it easier to apply screws / put the case in its position to the standoffs etc.
But, I've always been bare foot (we have ceramic floor) and carpets on it etc, never noticed any damage or so to my components.

Am I messing something up, should I wear slippers that isolate me from the ground or w/e?

Solution

Basically how I did my last build (current one) and it has been operating so far for over 7 months without any issues, is i'd put my mobo on the box it came with after getting it out from the anti static bag, put ram / cpu / cpu cooler in it, then apply all of them in the case (usually using my bed as a table ) and continue the rest of the build while the case is turned over to make it easier to apply screws / put the case in its position to the standoffs etc.
But, I've always been bare foot (we have ceramic floor) and carpets on it etc, never noticed any damage or so to my components.

Am I...

Am I messing something up, should I wear slippers that isolate me from the ground or w/e?
You are better of barefoot but watch out if you are working with high voltage side.

Solution