Grounding Issues Causing Freezing

barlowtj

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
I am having problems with a few things but I believe that, from reading other peoples' problems, that it is a grounding issue. The reason I say this is because simply touching a usb plug or a headphone jack to the input freezes the system. I also thought this was a problem with my motherboard, as some of the SATA ports weren't functioning properly, so I called up Asus. They walked me through a few different options, send back, malfunctioning bridge...or a grounding issue. Also, I'm not sure if this is normal, but my PSU, a Corsair CX750M, sometimes makes a high pitch squeal, and I thing I have matched it up that it makes sound when my GPU does more than nothing. For example: as I type this question next to my computer, I can hear a response from my PSU. Is it a problem, in my PSU or is it a grounding issue? If so how do I fix it?

Oh, and I pulled to motherboard all out and have it set up antistatic out of the case, and the SATA ports DO work. I think freezing still might happen usb/headphone jack wise though. Thank you for your time and help. System Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 8320, stock cooler
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
PSU: Corsair CX750M
HDD/SSD: 250 gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1 tb something it's a hard drive whatever
DVD, CD, burner, reader, writer, ripper, murderer, dancer, you get the point lol
RAM: 2x2gb, 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix 1600

Solution
I'd continue testing your pc with the mobo outside the case to be completely sure if the grounding issues /freeze on peripheral connection persists or not.

Then you'll know if it's the mobo or an improper fit/conflict in the case.

You may also wanna try with another PSU while testing with the mobo outside the case, the high pitch you mentioned shouldn't be happening, if PSU is not regulating it's power output to the mobo that could as well cause your symptoms.
I'd continue testing your pc with the mobo outside the case to be completely sure if the grounding issues /freeze on peripheral connection persists or not.

Then you'll know if it's the mobo or an improper fit/conflict in the case.

You may also wanna try with another PSU while testing with the mobo outside the case, the high pitch you mentioned shouldn't be happening, if PSU is not regulating it's power output to the mobo that could as well cause your symptoms.

Solution

barlowtj

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013

So, I was adequately fed up with the whole thing. I am now mid-process in re-installing windows after replacing the mobo under RMA. Asus is helping me quite a bit to get it all done, and I am very grateful for that. It appears to have been the problem, as I have not had any freezing up yet. At this point if there are more errors, I know that it is the PSU, and will have it replaced. Thanks for the help anyway. (kind of funny story below)

I was just about to restart the computer to re-install windows, because the constant freezing was slowly eating away at the necessary things. Just as I did this I got a blue screen. Not even kidding, it was a literal LOL moment. Screw you, oh defective electronics.