Grounding myself on a fully painted case/PSU?

Rayano24

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013
So I am going to order my components tomorrow and have a few concerns one of which is static electricity. I am ordering an ESD Wrist Strap (1$ price match!) but I still dont know where to plug it in

Everything in my room is either not metal or painted
My case is the HAF 912 COMBAT which has a fully black interior, and my PSU is the XFX 550W, Any ideas on how I can ground myself

Does it work to have my ESD Wrist Strap attached to the case while the PSU is plugged into an outlet (but off) ? Even if its painted?

Nothing in my room is metal and what is is painted or if bare, too thick
Radiator wise, I have a newer type which is essentially hidden

Solution
Hi
The threads of the bolt and the threads in the psu are not painted and so make a good connection.
Just unscrew one of the bolts that hold your psu in the case slightly then attach the crocodile clip on the end of the wire that comes with your wrist strap onto the head of the bolt.

oczdude8

Distinguished
dude honestly, you dont need a wrist strap or anything. Just make sure to not wear "staticy" clothing like wool and just touch your case with your hands before starting. I do reccomend you remove all parts from plastic and stuff and lay them out in order of installation, so you just grab it and screw it in. And when your installing, pretend like you are a crimnial and you dont want to leave fingerprints behind, so you touch the components as little as possible.

If you must, go to the washroom and touch the facuet or if its platic, touch the plumbing underneath. This will totally ground your body.

Rayano24

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013
Well the ESD Wrist Strap is just a dollar and rounds my builds price to 1260 instead of 1259 so I thought why not...
I'd like to make use of it so I woudnt mind knowing what he meant with the PSU thing

oczdude8

Distinguished
He meant to secure your wrist starp ground part to your psu screw ( one of the 4 screws that connect it to the case). You can slightly unscrew it, and put the electrode part there and screw it back so you are always connected to your case.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
The threads of the bolt and the threads in the psu are not painted and so make a good connection.
Just unscrew one of the bolts that hold your psu in the case slightly then attach the crocodile clip on the end of the wire that comes with your wrist strap onto the head of the bolt.

Solution