Grounding/static advice for new builder

fallout1

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
What's the best way to go about avoiding static when building a new computer? I've seen some swear by wriststraps and others just say to not rub your socks a lot on carpet and you'll be fine. I don't want to mess anything up so I want to be careful and make sure I know what I'm doing first.

Thanks!

Solution
I have never had trouble with static, and all i do is continually ground myself by touching the exposed metal of the case. do that plenty (especially before touching the mobo) and you'll be fine.

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I don't bother with an anti-static wristband (while it would be nice, it's not always necessary). I'm just mindful of not wearing any static clothing (basketball shorts) and I usually don't wear socks as well. As welshmousepk mentioned, just touch any exposed metal on the case in between moving around.

g5insider

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Keep your components in the anti static bags untill you are putting them into the tower

they should go from anti static bag to tower

always keep yourself grounded by touching the case before the components of the machine

you can wear a wrist strap but ive never run into any static problems its unlikely but can happen

banthracis

Distinguished
It's not a major issue. Work on a non conductive surface like wood, ground yourself on anything metal like your PC case before you work and don't work on carpet/rug.

That's about it. Anti static straps are a waste of money. I don't know a single ECE and electrician who ever bothered with one.

TRENDING THREADS