Group policy not applying to OU

Hi everyone,

I am setting up a test domain with windows 2000 server and I promoted it to a domain controller. I have created 3 OU's and within these OU's I created users. Now I can log on to the domain with these users but I have created Group policies at the OU level and none of these policies apply. Is there anything else I need to set up or maybe I am missing? Is DNS or DHCP needed on this Domain Controller or anything else? Please help!!

Thank you

You will need to set up DNS for group policy to work. I'm surprised you got
a computer to join the domain without DNS being set up.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Wayne55" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am setting up a test domain with windows 2000 server and I promoted it
to a domain controller. I have created 3 OU's and within these OU's I
created users. Now I can log on to the domain with these users but I have
created Group policies at the OU level and none of these policies apply. Is
there anything else I need to set up or maybe I am missing? Is DNS or DHCP
needed on this Domain Controller or anything else? Please help!!

> Thank you

DNS had to be set up on the network. You can't promote a server to
become a DC without DNS running. How long after you apply the GP are
you waiting? Background processing takes 90-120 minutes. Check the
permissions on your Group policies. The users will need the read and
apply group policy setting applied to their accounts.

You can use the secedit command on w2k or gpupdate on XP to update the
policies faster.

I would definitely recommend Jeremy Moskowitz's new book on group
policy.

"Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message news:<#XJoLEASEHA.2216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> You will need to set up DNS for group policy to work. I'm surprised you got
> a computer to join the domain without DNS being set up.
>

> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
> "Wayne55" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am setting up a test domain with windows 2000 server and I promoted it
> to a domain controller. I have created 3 OU's and within these OU's I
> created users. Now I can log on to the domain with these users but I have
> created Group policies at the OU level and none of these policies apply. Is
> there anything else I need to set up or maybe I am missing? Is DNS or DHCP
> needed on this Domain Controller or anything else? Please help!!
> >
> > Thank you

Danny you can join the domain by the NetBIOS name, you know NT4.0 freaks :)

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson