Growing up in Michigan

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I Have been going to the Northern part of Michigan since I was very
young, my dad was from the straights area. I had my first trip across
the Mackinaw Bridge the year it was built.

Tonight I flew out of Cheboygan,about 18 miles SSE. I made my way to
Lake Huron and saw the bridge. I decided I would try and fly under the
bridge. The scenery even in 2002, computer's to slow for 2004:(. is
great. I was surprised to find out that the water view is good to -20
feet then it goes blank.

I'm sure there are many out there that have done this at other places.
This was my first time however. The main lesson I learned is to find
out what the sea level of the body of water I'm going to fly close to:)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

mike wheelock wrote:
> I Have been going to the Northern part of Michigan since I was very
> young, my dad was from the straights area. I had my first trip across
> the Mackinaw Bridge the year it was built.
>
> Tonight I flew out of Cheboygan,about 18 miles SSE. I made my way to
> Lake Huron and saw the bridge. I decided I would try and fly under the
> bridge. The scenery even in 2002, computer's to slow for 2004:(. is
> great. I was surprised to find out that the water view is good to -20
> feet then it goes blank.
>
> I'm sure there are many out there that have done this at other places.
> This was my first time however. The main lesson I learned is to find
> out what the sea level of the body of water I'm going to fly close to:)

Well said Mike,

No point in having a plane trying to emulate a submarine.

Perk :)>)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Mike,
Jim Bosworth has a web site dedicated to improving Michigan small
airport scenry in MS Flight Sim
http://www.bozair.bravepages.com/Mi2002v1.htm

Matt Magner also has some nice scenery files in the FlightSim.com and
AvSim.com libraries. Use Michigan as your first keyword search.

Cheers,
Bruce

to reply: get rid of SNOWMOBILES and UNLEASHEDDOGS

mike wheelock wrote:

> I Have been going to the Northern part of Michigan since I was very
> young, my dad was from the straights area. I had my first trip across
> the Mackinaw Bridge the year it was built.
>
> Tonight I flew out of Cheboygan,about 18 miles SSE. I made my way to
> Lake Huron and saw the bridge. I decided I would try and fly under the
> bridge. The scenery even in 2002, computer's to slow for 2004:(. is
> great. I was surprised to find out that the water view is good to -20
> feet then it goes blank.
>
> I'm sure there are many out there that have done this at other places.
> This was my first time however. The main lesson I learned is to find
> out what the sea level of the body of water I'm going to fly close to:)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Bruce Freeburger wrote:

> Mike,
> Jim Bosworth has a web site dedicated to improving Michigan small
> airport scenry in MS Flight Sim
> http://www.bozair.bravepages.com/Mi2002v1.htm
>
> Matt Magner also has some nice scenery files in the FlightSim.com and
> AvSim.com libraries. Use Michigan as your first keyword search.
>
> Cheers,
> Bruce
>
> to reply: get rid of SNOWMOBILES and UNLEASHEDDOGS

Thanks I'll check it out.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Bruce Freeburger wrote:
> Mike,
> Jim Bosworth has a web site dedicated to improving Michigan small
> airport scenry in MS Flight Sim
> http://www.bozair.bravepages.com/Mi2002v1.htm
>
> Matt Magner also has some nice scenery files in the FlightSim.com and
> AvSim.com libraries. Use Michigan as your first keyword search.
>
> Cheers,
> Bruce
>
> to reply: get rid of SNOWMOBILES and UNLEASHEDDOGS
>
> mike wheelock wrote:
>
>> I Have been going to the Northern part of Michigan since I was very
>> young, my dad was from the straights area. I had my first trip across
>> the Mackinaw Bridge the year it was built.
>>
>> Tonight I flew out of Cheboygan,about 18 miles SSE. I made my way to
>> Lake Huron and saw the bridge. I decided I would try and fly under
>> the bridge. The scenery even in 2002, computer's to slow for 2004:(.
>> is great. I was surprised to find out that the water view is good to
>> -20 feet then it goes blank.
>>
>> I'm sure there are many out there that have done this at other places.
>> This was my first time however. The main lesson I learned is to find
>> out what the sea level of the body of water I'm going to fly close to:)

Thanks again I just stopped flying in my home area Wayne County MI. I
flew from 1D2 to Y47 and back. With the add on installed I was amazed
at the difference. I could follow the highway with only a couple of
roads missing.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Mike,
I have now settled down in flight simming to low and slow GA
singles, and GA airports that are most likely places I would be flying
if I started taking flight instruction.
I live in Roseville, but I had a night shift job just north of
Plymouth Mettetal. The Bozair files really improved KUIZ (now bulldozed
over, and and 1D2. Mackinac Island to St Ignace is my favorite GA flight.

Since you are in Wayne County, this group is one of at least two
organised Virtual NWA online groups.
Their web site has a decent list of where to download freeware files of
every plane NWA and Mesaba operates. This includes the aircraft, panel,
paint, and sound. They do not always have the utlimate aircraft and
panel, but as I said it is a decent guide to have every NWA plane type
in your FS menu. Their web site has changed. They used to have a list of
scenery files to download for the NWA airports.
http://www.simairline.net/northwest/fleet.html

For VFR flying in Michigan, Raimondo Taburet has for FS2004 a USA
Roads series in freeware that will have roads and streets painted over
terrain mesh. He also has freeware 38.3 terrain mesh files for the
entire 50 states (and payware for Canada). For free downloads, he seems
to have the only combination of 38.2 mesh and roads/streets.

FsGenesis sells the "American Data" (seems simular to the USA roads)
if you have high speed internet, these two files will get you FSGenesis
38.2 mesh for the central, midwest, and east coast states. For all I
know, the USA Roads may work with this mesh too.
apdem38.zip
gpdem38.zip

If you want to save disk space, just these 6 files (part of the above
two) will get you just the mesh for both penninsulas and Isle Royal.
fsgapsud.zip
fsgaplks.zip
fsgaplke.zip
fsgapchi.zip
fsggplks.zip
fsggplkn.zip

Cheers,
Bruce Freeburger


mike wheelock wrote:
> Thanks again I just stopped flying in my home area Wayne County MI. I
> flew from 1D2 to Y47 and back. With the add on installed I was amazed
> at the difference. I could follow the highway with only a couple of
> roads missing.
 

Jim

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
2,444
0
19,780
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:16:51 -0500, Bruce Freeburger
>Plymouth Mettetal. The Bozair files really improved KUIZ (now bulldozed
>over, and and 1D2. Mackinac Island to St Ignace is my favorite GA flight.

Just wanted to say "thank you" for the plug, but also give a warning.
Many of the terrain files that are floating around out there are not
acccurate! I can't explain why this is so, but we've seen this
problem over and over. The scenery Al Heline and I do is based on
our personal knowledge of Michigan and we adjust the terrain (when
necessary) to match the real thing as close as we can. All too many
times we have received reports of crazy things appearing, only to
discover it was due to screwed up terrain packages provided by others.
That is why we recommend that anyone using our scenery turn off any
and all terrain packages that sit on or near Michigan.

Jim Bosworth
http://www.bozair.bravepages.com/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Jim "Mr Bozair.com":

I really love what you have done for Michigan Flight Simulating! My
laptop still runs FS98 and I run your older Michigan airport files
(still available on www.FlightSim.com, bonaav35.zip is my brother in
law's 1969 V35A)there. Of course, I have your newer stuff.

FLYING M
I have been too busy to e-mail you, but last July I visited 3L7
Flying M airport in Lincoln MI. It's a 2200 ft grass strip. I took a lot
of photos so you (or somebody else) could model it for Flight Simming. I
also walked the entire runway centerline with my GPS on for the most
accurate location. There is only 2 or three buildings, trees, and a
powerline with orange balls. The airport owner thought it was pretty
cool that I wanted to have 3L7 modeled.
The default MS scenery for Flying M is mostly the "duct tape on a
ping pong table" that we had back in FS5.0.

Cheers,
Bruce Freeburger



Jim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:16:51 -0500, Bruce Freeburger
>
>>Plymouth Mettetal. The Bozair files really improved KUIZ (now bulldozed
>>over, and and 1D2. Mackinac Island to St Ignace is my favorite GA flight.
>
>
> Just wanted to say "thank you" for the plug, but also give a warning.
> Many of the terrain files that are floating around out there are not
> acccurate! I can't explain why this is so, but we've seen this
> problem over and over. The scenery Al Heline and I do is based on
> our personal knowledge of Michigan and we adjust the terrain (when
> necessary) to match the real thing as close as we can. All too many
> times we have received reports of crazy things appearing, only to
> discover it was due to screwed up terrain packages provided by others.
> That is why we recommend that anyone using our scenery turn off any
> and all terrain packages that sit on or near Michigan.
>
> Jim Bosworth
> http://www.bozair.bravepages.com/
 

Jim

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
2,444
0
19,780
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Bruce,

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:28:04 -0500, Bruce Freeburger
<USENETsnowmobiles@unleasheddogsBIKESonTV.com> wrote:

> so you (or somebody else) could model it for Flight Simming.

I answered this via email, but just in case...........

I'll be glad to take a shot at it. I sent some instructions in the
email message, let me know here if you didn't get it - otherwise we'll
move this to email totally.

BTW, my entire BozAir website will be "up and down" for a while. I'm
in the process of trying to move all BozAir related sites to a
different account and that has proven to be an interesting experience
so far. :-(

Jim