GSkill Trident X on GA-H61M-S1 at OC speed

jorge_quintanilha

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
Hey there. I used to have a Asrock Z77 Performance but an accident happened and it went bust. All I could find was a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S1 (rev 2.2) to replace it while I have it reballed.

On its specs page (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4127#sp) it says it supports the following frequencies: DDR3 2200(OC)/1333/1066/800. I have a pair of 8GB-2400MHz G-Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX). Since the mobo doesn't go over 1333 normally, I want to enable that OC speed.

I figured that to reach 2200 all I needed to do was set the profile and timings on XMP. Set them to 10-12-12-31 @ 1.65V, but I can't get it to work. CPU-Z lists it as running at 789.1MHz.

Does anyone knows how to properly configure this? Thanks in advance!

Solution
It may be a combination of CPU and motherboard. I have seen 3770 work above 1600 with a Z77/87 motherboard and I have not seen an H61 reach above 1600, so it might have been a typo. If you are limited to 1333, you can also lower timings to make up for some lost frequency and improve performance that way.
Motherboard specs may state it can support a certain frequency, but you must check QVL to see which memory kits can work up to those values. Some times there are none, so the motherboard may not actually be fully capable.

For XMP to work perfectly, a G.Skill certified motherboard is required.

If you already have everything, enable XMP, lower frequency to 1866 or 2133 and see if that can boot up

Keep us posted on the results and we can help from there

JaKSLaP

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

Why would he have to lower his speed to 2133 if the RAM clearly states it runs at 2400?

JaKSLaP

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

Ok i was just wondering because i am suffering the same issue, and i have been reading online that alot of people are having issues with XMP in general. I have created a thread with my issues, would you be kind enough to help me, thanks

Here is the link
http://

Yes, there are many possible reasons. For XMP to work properly, a certified motherboard is necessary and capable CPU is required. Many times people think XMP just works for any motherboard that says it can support XMP and DDR-xxxx frequency, and that's basically everything motherboard. Other times people get a non-K or non-Extreme CPUs for cost reasons thinking a cheap CPU should be able to handle the high speed; also not all K or Extreme CPUs can handle ultra high frequency so there are just many things that can cause a problem when trying to build the fastest computer with the latest technology. If gaining +50% performance was that easy then Dell HP Alienware IBuyPower and whoever would just offer it. So for one with no prior knowledge and no time spent researching, it's best to verify with manufacturers to see if the hardware they are getting can achieve their target goals.

I try to help everyone on Tom's Hardware but it can be time consuming sifting through all the threads without a tag. If anyone needs help, please tag GSKILL or G.Skill so we can easier identify and help.

Thanks!

jorge_quintanilha

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016

Hey, thanks for taking the time to answer that!
Well, thing is, there is no way to select any mem speed higher than 1333, which is what is listed on the motherboard's manual. But it does say that it supports "2200 (OC)", hence my question. If I choose profile 2, CPU-Z lists the memsticks running @ 789.1 which I figure is what nominal 1600 actually is.

Now, to address your points:
1- I haven't checked the QVL. Heck, this mobo was all I could find in my town with a PCI-e 16x 3.0 slot and a LGA1155 slot.
2- As you may have guessed it I'm at best someone who's simply familiar with PC terms, not at all an expert or enthusiast on the matter.
3- Checking the QVL list that Gigabyte provides on the mobo page, I don't see the model above listed, however I saw that models such as the F3-19200CL9D-4GBPIS (which is a GSkill DDR3 2400 stick) listed, but under the category "DDR3 2400 (downgrade to DDR3 1333)".
4- My processor is an i7 3770, not the K one. According to you, that must be the reason why I don't see a OC option for the memory as well right?

but again, thanks for the answer! That is some pretty cool attitude from G.Skill!