GSkill vs. Corsair PC2-6400

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
I am getting G.Skill PC2-6400 2GB RAM with 4-4-3-5 timings for $104 on Newegg. How much better and % difference is this compared to Corsair 2GB 5-5-5-18 timings? Both are DDR2-800mhz

Mondoman

Splendid
I am getting G.Skill PC2-6400 2GB RAM with 4-4-3-5 timings for $104 on Newegg. How much better and % difference is this compared to Corsair 2GB 5-5-5-18 timings? ...
You'll need to tell us what units to use for "better" and "% diff" -- that is, what is your definition of "better"?

Let me try a related question. If I don't overclock and I get my local shop to build a new CP for me, can I just get the cheapest DDR2-800 they have? Would I notice any difference between the cheapest and the most expensive? Is price even related to speed at all, or not really? Thanks!

Mondoman

Splendid
The best bet is to look at the whole system and figure out where the bottlenecks are. For example, as long as you've got a reasonably capable CPU, getting a better CPU will have little impact on gaming fps performance. It's getting a better graphics card that will make just about all the difference. For just about everyone's purposes, getting RAM that can adequately supply the CPU means getting DDR2-533, DDR2-667, or DDR2-800, depending on the CPU and OCing. As long as you've got RAM that works in your system, and has a lifetime warranty, spend any extra money on the graphics card and/or hard drive (Raptors can boost perceived Win performance substantially).